A University of Aberdeen student was the youngest person to deliver a presentation at a major global energy conference that took place in Egypt this week.
Hossam Almassry (26), a MSc Petroleum Energy, Economics and Finance student from Egypt, is studying in the UK under the prestigious Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) Chevening Scholarship, and was selected from over a hundred entrants to present a paper to an elite group of technical experts at EGYPS 2017, the Egypt Petroleum Show.
His paper, ‘the application of the Low Salinity Waterflooding technique in the ‘Belayim’ oil field’, focused on a relatively new Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) technique. During the conference Hossam had the opportunity to meet John Casson, the British Ambassador to Egypt.
Hossam’s involvement in the conference came as a result of a trade mission led by Scottish Development International (SDI) involving the University, and he thanked those involved in organising the trip.
He said: “Without the cooperation between the SDI and the University, and their approval to sponsor my participation in EGYPS as a part of the Scottish trade mission, I wouldn’t have this great opportunity to present my work to a panel of prominent industry experts. It was also a pleasure to meet the British Ambassador, with whom I shared an interesting discussion about my work.”
“My experience of taking part in the conference is one of the main reasons I chose to study in Aberdeen - the strong ties between the University, government and industry provides students with great opportunities when it comes to career development.”
Programme Coordinator Dr Nikolaos Vlassis added: “Hossam’s selection from over a hundred entrants to present his paper marks him out as a future star of the energy industry, and is testament to the talent of our students.
“As a University we are committed to promoting our students for participation in major conferences and events, as well as to potential employers with whom we work closely as part of the MSc Petroleum Energy, Economics and Finance. On behalf of the University I would like to congratulate Hossam on his achievement, which will stand him in good stead in his future career.”
For more information about an MSc Petroleum Energy, Economics and Finance please visit our website https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/postgraduate-taught/degree-programmes/228/petroleum-energy-economics-and-finance/
For further details of the Chevening Scholarship visit: http://www.chevening.org/
Browse by Month
- Feb There are no items for February 2013
- Mar There are no items for March 2013
- Apr There are no items for April 2013
- May There are no items for May 2013
- Jul There are no items for July 2013
- Aug There are no items for August 2013
- Sep There are no items for September 2013
- Oct There are no items for October 2013
- Jan There are no items for January 2012
- Feb There are no items for February 2012
- Mar There are no items for March 2012
- Apr There are no items for April 2012
- May There are no items for May 2012
- Jul There are no items for July 2012
- Aug There are no items for August 2012
- Sep There are no items for September 2012
- Nov There are no items for November 2012