Economics at Aberdeen gets to grips with the global economy and the factors that influence wealth from a social and financial perspective, taught by leading economists. You will gain thorough understanding of economic theories and models and explore how they work in the real world, gaining skills that will be very attractive to top employers.
We offer a range of Economics degrees which you can read more about below.View available degree programmes
The University of Aberdeen International Study Centre offers preparation programmes for progression to undergraduate degree study at the university.Discover the International Study Centre
Economics at Aberdeen explores the factors that affect political processes, social reforms and international relations within an economic context. You will study topics including microeconomics of business and society, macroeconomics of the world economy, and economic problems within a variety of political, social and historical contexts.
The University Business School is a vibrant community of over 40 nationalities, in small classes, with courses focused on employability, and a strong track record of research in applied economics, particularly in the areas of petroleum and renewable energy. Health and wellbeing is also a focus, with close links to our Health Economics Research Unit, a leading centre in Europe.
Our Economics graduates are sought after by top employers in business, government, education, and private consulting. Aberdeen is known as the oil and gas capital of Europe, which brings contact with multinational energy companies and graduate opportunities. Recent Aberdeen graduates are progressing their careers with the World Bank, European Central Bank, Deloitte & Touche, Deutsche Bank, Ernst & Young, KPMG and as finance professionals with Morgan Stanley, Scottish Life and Royal Bank of Scotland.
You will enjoy our warm Aberdeen welcome and our friendly and vibrant international community, small classes with plenty of individual attention, close links with employers and real-life scenarios to work on, and a beautiful campus with great facilities for learning, sports and leisure, and opportunities to develop personally as well as professionally, and broaden your horizons through study abroad.
Available Programmes of Study
Single Honours Degrees
Joint Honours Degrees
- Economics and Finance
- Economics and French
- Economics and French (5 years)
- Economics and Gaelic Studies
- Economics and Geography
- Economics and German
- Economics and German (5 years)
- Economics and History
- Economics and International Relations
- Economics and Legal Studies
- Economics and Mathematics
- Economics and Philosophy
- Economics and Politics
- Economics and Psychology
- Economics and Sociology
- Economics and Spanish & Latin American Studies
- Economics and Spanish & Latin American Studies (5 years)
You may also be interested in...
Joint Honours Degrees
Major-Minor Honours Degrees
Why Study Economics at Aberdeen?
- An excellent teaching environment, committed to the needs of industry, which integrates research in to teaching, grows transferable skills and develops intellectual skills on a range of contemporary economic problems.
- A thriving Economics Society, organising annual trips to international economic institutions including the European Union in Brussels, the European Central Bank in Frankfurt, and the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development in Paris.
- Enterprise Campus, a new initiative to nurture entrepreneurial skills and support students wanting to progress their own business ideas.
- ACREEF (the Aberdeen Centre for Research in Energy Economics and Finance) headed by leading international petroleum economist and author Professor Alex Kemp, adviser to the Scottish Government.
- Home to CELMR (the Centre for European Labour Market Research) which leads research in education, skills and labour markets so topical today.
- The spectacular, award-winning Sir Duncan Rice Library, with brilliant study facilities, state-of-the-art learning technology, and an extensive collection of reference books, journals and other media for economics and business studies.
- A packed campus programme of student, public and business events, and the annual May Festival attracting internationally acclaimed public figures, business leaders, authors and broadcasters to debate critical challenges in the world today.
- Experience the Bloomberg Terminal, a software platform that provides real-time and historical data, market-moving news and analytics to help leading business and financial professional make better informed investment decisions.
Get in Touch
Student Recruitment & Admissions
University of Aberdeen