Are you excited by the possibilities of quantum computing, blockchain, encryption, data science, machine learning and other emerging AI technologies that have been making headlines recently, such as ChatGPT?
A degree in Computing Science offers excellent career prospects across a wide variety of exciting sectors from e-commerce and fintech to healthcare and telecommunications.
We offer a range of Computing Science degrees which you can read more about below.View available degree programmes
The University of Aberdeen International Study Centre offers preparation programmes for progression to undergraduate degree study at the university.Discover the International Study Centre
Computing Science at Aberdeen encompasses both the theory and the practice of computing with particular emphasis on developing your technical analysis, design and programming skills.
You will study programming, data management, software engineering, systems, security, AI and apply your technical and creative problem skills to a wide variety of commercial, scientific and socio-economic contexts.
Our teaching reflects how advances in computing are constantly transforming how we live, learn, work and socialise – from how we detect and treat disease, or analyse the human genome, to how we make online shopping easier and more secure.
You will be taught by leading researchers whose work in multi-agent systems, natural language generation, machine learning and blockchain underpins what you learn in class.
Our teaching is also informed by our strong links with industry organisations, who support our students through guest lectures and seminars as well as prizes (including for example Amazon, CGI and ScotlandIS).
BSc Computer Science or MA Computing?
Both the BSc Computer Science and MA Computing contain the same core computing courses. BSc Computing Science students have the option to take further science-related courses as part of their degree while MA Computing students have the option to take other arts-based courses.
You will have opportunities to undertake placements during your programme, which is an excellent opportunity to gain first-hand professional experience. If you want to undertake a full additional year of work placement, you can apply to MSci Computing Science with Industrial Placement programme.
We also offer a five-year integrated Master's degree - MEng Computing Science - which combines our four-year BSc Computing Science with an additional year of postgraduate level study. The additional year allows you to further develop your expertise in areas including artificial intelligence, machine learning and cybersecurity.
Available Programmes of Study
We offer the following programmes in Computing Science:
Single Honours Degrees
- Computing Science
- Computing Science (5 years)
- Computing Science with Industrial Placement
- Data Science
Joint Honours Degrees
You may also be interested in...
Joint Honours Degrees
Why Study Computing Science at Aberdeen?
- The Aberdeen University Artificial Intelligence Society and the Aberdeen University Computing Society provide a forum for students to share their interest and expertise in computing through workshops, guest talks, coding challenges and social events
- Students can also undertake placements during their studies, which is an excellent opportunity to gain first-hand professional experience of working in industry.
- The Aberdeen Software Factory is a student-run software house that enables computing science students gain experience working on larger software projects for external clients.
- Some of the organisations that our graduates have gone to work for in recent years include Google, Citi Bank, Coca-Cola, Danske Bank, Disney Pixar, Morgan Stanley, Huawei, JPMorgan Chase, GE Digital and Allianz Insurance.
- Our online summer school provides additional support to familiarise students with programming, mathematics and other related topics before commencing their studies.
Get in Touch
Student Recruitment & Admissions
University of Aberdeen