A wide range of biological science degree options, allowing you to shape your studies to suit your career aspirations and interests.
We offer a range of Biological and Environmental Sciences degrees which you can read more about below.View available degree programmes
The University of Aberdeen International Study Centre offers preparation programmes for progression to undergraduate degree study at the university.Discover the International Study Centre
Our undergraduate degree programmes have a number of benefits including a wide choice of courses, a strong focus on field and lab-based teaching, and multiple opportunities for you to engage in research.
The School of Biological Sciences is recognised internationally for its work in understanding and quantifying environmental change, global change modelling, genomics, fish immunology, obesity and ageing research, plant-soil-microbe interactions, remediation technology, deep ocean biology, fisheries science and large-scale empirical ecological studies integrated with molecular and modelling approaches. This expertise underpins our teaching curriculum and shapes our approach to research-led teaching.
Why Study Biological and Environmental Sciences at Aberdeen?
- We are recognized internationally for our expertise in zoology, marine biology, plant and soil science, physiology, ecology and conservation and our teaching is delivered by world-class experts.
- Our disciplinary breadth allows us to offer a wide range of BSc programmes. Students within each programme have access to a wide range of optional courses in the school and the university.
- We are one of the only universities in the UK carrying out world-class research on mammals, birds, fish AND invertebrates.
- In Aberdeen we have easy access to fantastic natural environments, including coastline and marine habitats, mountain and river systems, Caledonian forests and farmland.
- We embed field-based teaching in many of our courses to ensure you develop practical skills, become familiar with case studies and a diversity of perspectives.
- Our base in Old Aberdeen is set within the beautiful Cruickshank Botanic Gardens and incorporates our distinguished Zoology Museum.
- Our students value the rich practical and field components of our programmes and the high level of support they get during their final year projects.
- Our degree programmes are flexible to allow you to tailor your studies to your interests. The flexibility allows you to sample courses in biological and non-biological subjects, to move between programmes, and to take a year out to study abroad.
- We consistently achieve high levels of student satisfaction and our graduates are well-respected by employers. In the NSS 2020 rankings we were ranked 1st in the UK for overall student satisfaction in Biology.
- Our BSc honours degrees are accredited by the Royal Society of Biology, the leading professional body for the biological sciences in the UK.
- We are committed to the career progression of our students and we collaborate with the Careers & Employability Service to ensure that you have opportunities to explore career options, develop your employability and connect with employers.
- We have our own research and teaching facility, The Lighthouse Field Station which is situated on the Cromarty Firth. In 2020 the station celebrated 30 years of teaching and research on the ecology of seals, dolphins and seabirds.
Get in Touch
Student Recruitment & Admissions
University of Aberdeen