Most crime on campus comprises of opportunity theft and many of these incidents are preventable by following these precautions. Here are some key points to consider when it comes to theft:
- NEVER leave personal possessions unattended.
- ALWAYS keep money in a safe place.
- BE CAREFUL with keys. Keep them in a secure place.
- SECURE all vulnerable windows in your absence. An open window is an invitation to a thief.
- DON'T disclose confidential information to a stranger including door access codes, pin numbers and computer codes.
Should your mobile phone be stolen, your service provider can block your SIM card if you following this advice:
- Key in the following digits on your phone: *#06#.
- A unique 15-digit code will appear on the screen, write it down and keep it somewhere safe.
- Advise your service provider in the event of your mobile phone being stolen or lost. It won't guarantee its return, but will prevent anyone using it at your expense.
Take the following precautions to prevent bike theft:
- ALWAYS secure your bike with a strong chain or D style lock.
- ALWAYS secure your bike to something strong which cannot be removed or broken.
- HIRE a bike locker by contacting email@example.com
- COMPLETE a Bike Passport to help Grampian Police identify and return your bike if it is stolen.
If your bike is stolen or tampered with, or if you see any suspicious activity on campus report it to Security on x3327 or x3939.