AI & ChatGPT
Recently the use of Artificial Intelligence tools, such as ChatGPT has gained in prominence, this page aims to collate some resources on AI and ChatGPT and highlight any upcoming events with regards to AI and ChatGPT.
- Thursday 18 May at 9pm: Harnessing ChatGPT for Academic Innovation: An Interactive Exploration ("Beyond the Cheating Freak-out")" by Professor James Intriligator (Tufts University, Boston, USA) hosted by International Federation of National Teaching Fellows (IFNTF)
- Thursday 25 May at 12pm: Unpicking (the concerns around) generative AI and understanding its impact by Tom Pieroni from Open Data Institute (ODI) hosted by ALT South Group.
- Wednesday 14 June at 2pm: AI in Education: Unleashing Creativity and Collaboration by Digitally Enhanced Education Webinars (if you are not already part of the community complete the Digitally Enhanced Education registration form)
- 20/02/23: ELESIG: ChatGPT and the student digital learning experience, a round table event which included Rob Howe and Rhona Sharpe
- Centre for Research in Assessment and Digital Learning, Deakin University, Australia
- 15/02/23: What do we need to know now?
- 01/03/23: How should educators respond?
- SEDA Sessions:
- 08/02/23: A non-technical introduction to ChatGPT Recording and Presentation slides
- 01/03/23: An updated non-technical introduction to ChatGPT Recording and Presentation slides
- 08/03/23: Generative AI for Academic Writing and Assessment: Issues and Opportunities by Mike Sharples
- Digitally Enhanced Education Webinars
- 15/03/23: 'The computers are taking over . . .' from University of Northampton
- Advance HE
- 14/03/23: Authentic Assessment in the Age of AI a panel sesion convened by Dr Charles Knight
- QAA Sessions:
- 22/03/23: ChatGPT: To ban or not to ban?
- 31/03/23: ChatGPT: How do I use it as a force for good?
- 18/04/23: ChatGPT: What should assessment look like now?
- Turnitin Session:
- 28/03/23: Combating Contract Cheating by Turnitin
- 26/04/23: The Student View on Contract Cheating by Turnitin
- 30/03/23: 'Beyond the Chat: Understanding the Impact of ChatGPT in Higher Education' from Micahel Webb at JISC and Professor David Smith from Sheffield Hallam University
- 20/04/23: Generative AI and ChatGPT: what's next for assessment in higher education? from Trinity College Dublin
- TBC: Open sessions on 'ChatGPT and Assessment Practice', enabling staff to contribute to practice and policy in this area.
- TBC: Assessment clinics, enabling facilitated discussions on authentic assessment at discipline-level are being offered to all Schools
If you would like further information about the above sessions please contact the Centre for Academic Development: firstname.lastname@example.org
Within Higher Education there has been a lot of discussion regarding Artificial Intelligence (AI) tools, such as ChatGPT, the following resources and links have been created and shared across the community. A useful starting place is the recent resource published by JISC 'A Generative AI Primer'.
- Heriot-Watt University 'Inspiring Learning' New Year Lecture 2023: Cheating, Academic Integrity and Assessment Security delivered by Prof. Philip Dawson
- What might ChatGPT mean for higher education by Bryan Alexander
- Artificial Intelligence in Education - ChatGPT for Teachers (an introduction)
- ENhance Quick Guide: Artificial Intelligence, Student Learning and Assessment from Edinburgh Napier University
- The Rise of Artificial Intelligence Software and Potential Risks for Academic Integrity: Briefing Paper for Higher Education Providers by QAA
- Introduction to ChatGPT and other Artifical Intelligence content creation tools from Heriot Watt University as well as other digital education resources
- AI, education and assessment: staff briefing #1 from University College London (UCL)
- ChatGPT: IDGAF (Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Ignore the Bot) - Peter Bryant: Post Digital Learning
- Will Universities Fail the Turing Test? by Phil Pilkington, Society for Research into Higher Education
- ChatGPT has arrived - and nothing has changed by Danny Oppenheimer, Carnegie Mellon University
- Artificial Intelligence and its Impact on the Learn and SafeAssign Roadmap by Nicolaas Matthijs at Blackboard/Anthology
- Advance HE:
- Higher education in the era of AI, Dr Kay Hack and Dr Charles Knight
- 'Excited, concerned and curious': student perspectives on learning and working in the era of AI by Dr Kay Hack
- Authentic Assessment in the era of AI
- Generative AI - Exploring the Potential Impact on Education and Creativity by University of Northampton
- Moving Forward with ChatGPT, from the Teaching Matters blog at the University of Edinburgh
- AI and Education: ChatGPT and its Future, by Liam Needham, University of Manchester
- Understanding AI in Education from the National Centre for AI, JISC
- So, you want to use ChatGPT in the classroom this semester? by Ben Swift, Times Higher Education
- Chat-GPT- is this an alert for changes in the way we deliver education? by Prof Amanda Kirby
- Navigating the Use of ChatGPT in Education by Dr Phil Anthony, University of Kent
- ChatGPT: students could use AI to cheat, but its a chance to rethink assessment altogether, by Sam Illingworth, Edinburgh Napier University
- Does ChatGPT mean the end of the essay as an assessment tool? JISC
- JISC project: National centre for AI in tertiary education - scroll down to see a list of interesting ChatGPT discussions
- Mapping the potential of AI in the age of competence based higher education, by Mike Ewen
- ChatGPT, assessment and cheating - have we tried trusting students? by James Bagshaw, Charles Knight and David Kernohan
Padlet Collation of Resources
- Digitally Enhanced Education Webinars: ChatGPT in Education
- Educational Developer's Padlet Collection, Padlet Chat GPT and the PGCert by Virna Rossi