Founded in 1495, the University of Aberdeen is one of the UK's most internationally distinguished universities and located in one of the most dynamic, prosperous and beautiful regions of the UK.
There are many reasons why the School of Biological Sciences here at Aberdeen is an excellent choice for your studies…
We are unique in terms of the breadth and depth of our teaching in the biological and environmental sciences
- Our teaching and research activities span biological and environmental sciences. We are recognised internationally for our expertise in zoology, marine biology, plant and soil science, physiology, ecology and conservation and our teaching is delivered by world class experts.
- Our disciplinary breadth allows us to offer ten undergraduate and six post-graduate degree programmes. Students within each programme have access to a wide range of optional courses within the school and the university, providing a unique opportunity to gain breadth alongside disciplinary depth.
- We are one of the only universities in the UK carrying out world-class research on mammals, birds, fish AND invertebrates. We are the only university within the UK that offers a programme in plant and soil science. Our biology programme is our flagship programme, bringing together the best of our teaching in animal and plant sciences, and in terrestrial and marine systems.
We work and play in a superb environment
- In Aberdeen we have easy access to fantastic natural environments, including coastline and marine habitats, mountain and river systems, Caledonian forests and farmland.
- We embed field-based teaching in many of our courses to ensure students develop practical skills, become familiar with case studies and a diversity of perspectives.
- Our base in Old Aberdeen is set within the beautiful Cruickshank Botanic Gardens and incorporates our distinguished Zoology Museum. We enjoy state of the art facilities at Oceanlab and our Lighthouse Field Station and the support we gain from the Aberdeen Biodiversity Centre.
Our programmes are trustworthy and successful
- Our programmes of study are both current and well-established. We consistently achieve high levels of student satisfaction and our graduates are well-respected by employers. Our students value the rich practical and field components of our programmes and the high level of support they get during their final year projects.
Our programmes are flexible, so even if you are not certain that you are destined for a career in biology, there is scope to move between degree programmes once you get here
- Our degree programmes are flexible to allow students to tailor their studies to their interests, where core courses are combined with optional courses.
- The flexibility allows students to sample courses in non-biological subjects, to move between programmes, and to take a year out or study abroad.
- We provide excellent academic advice and pastoral support to help students consider their options throughout their academic programme.
Our teaching is informed by our research
Our teaching is research-led in three main ways.
- Firstly, we have a team of talented and enthusiastic Teaching Fellows who apply educational research to their teaching and learning methods. They lead the way in terms of innovation in teaching delivery and assessment.
- Secondly, our research stars are engaged in teaching, for example, by delivering tutorials to first year students and specialist course options to fourth year students. Our curriculum is informed by expert knowledge and insight into the future priorities in the disciplines. Our course materials are continually updated to ensure they reflect current understanding and perspectives.
- Thirdly, our students are actively involved in scientific research. In Senior Honours (year 4), our students conduct independent research within one of the IBES research groups or with one of our collaborating institutions. For many students, this project experience is pivotal because it influences their career choice. In years 1, 2 and 3, students conduct investigations as part of their core courses, thereby developing skills and understanding of the scientific process.
We enjoy a collegiate and inclusive work environment
- Our taught programmes are supported by a motivated administrative and technical support team. Their friendly and welcoming presence enriches our learning environment.
- Several student societies have their home in our school and they bring together like-minded students and increase access to recreational and professional opportunities.
We have strong local, national and international links to industry, government bodies, charities and other research institutions
Our research and professional networks are integral to our work and benefit our students in several ways.
- First, they benefit from exposure to policy-makers, practitioners, regulatory professionals and experts in our taught classes and field trips.
- Secondly, our curriculum is informed by an employer advisory board that provides the school with insight into changing requirements of employers.
- Thirdly, many students take advantage of our collaborators' facilities and expertise for their research projects or placement.