People with a thirst for knowledge can still sign up to take part in the University of Aberdeen's free online Nutrition and Wellbeing course which begins next month (September 5).
The course aims to help make sense of the complex and conflicting messages we often hear about diet, health and lifestyle.
The Nutrition and Wellbeing course, known as a MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) is hosted by FutureLearn.
People who take part will follow a series of video based modules by lead educator Dr Alexandra Johnstone from the University’s Rowett Institute of Nutrition and Health who will present the scientific basics of nutrition and outline current nutrition concepts and controversies.
The course will be split into four themes and will run over four weeks. The weeks are made up of different activities based around the subject of study such as a video, article, discussion, test, quiz or assignment. The topics that learners will cover are:
- The makings of a ‘healthy diet’
- Why do we eat what we eat?
- Food and disease
- Nutrition, fads, myths and the plain truth
The course is designed with the intention that students will spend around six hours a week studying.
Dr Johnstone commented: “I am delighted that we are once again running this course, after a successful launch last year. 46,000 people worldwide across 160 countries have already completed the previous MOOC and sign up numbers are already in their thousands for this years.
“The course is designed to give people the most up to date, science based information related to diet, health and lifestyle, however we do ask those taking part to think about their own experiences. It is also an excellent forum for sharing hints and tips with other learners on the Future Learn course.
“Above all else I hope that people who take part in the course find it an enjoyable way to learn about more about nutrition and wellbeing.”
FutureLearn was initiated by The Open University in December 2012. The website went live in September 2013 as social learning platform, connecting learners from all over the globe who learn by interacting with each other and with globally renowned academics.
Registration for the course is now open and the course officially gets underway on September 5.
Browse by Month
- Jan There are no items to show for January 2011
- Mar There are no items to show for March 2011
- Apr There are no items to show for April 2011
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2011
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2011
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2011
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2011
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2011
- Jan There are no items to show for January 2010
- Feb There are no items to show for February 2010
- Mar There are no items to show for March 2010
- Apr There are no items to show for April 2010
- May There are no items to show for May 2010
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2010
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2010
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2010
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2010
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2010
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2010