Personal Laptop Support
We are happy to
- help you connect your laptop to the University’s wireless network
- offer advice on using Windows Update
- offer guidance on where to find University approved software
- offer advice on steps you might want to consider to fix your device
We are unable to
- provide hardware support, including repairs of any kind
- provide fixes for personal devices via remote connection
- assist with problems associated with serious software issues, including system crashes, e.g.
- Windows fails to boot up, or keeps rebooting itself
- applications fail to launch or keep crashing
- all the icons have changed in appearance
- the sound no longer works
- drivers and antivirus installations
We do not have the resources to repair personal laptops that are no longer working. The level of service we offer applies to all our customers, for all personal devices and operating systems.
Where to get help
If your laptop is still under guarantee, contact your vendor for advice.
Otherwise, while we cannot make specific recommendations, there are local companies who may carry out repairs for you. Some of these are listed below (in no particular order) for your convenience.
Note that there will almost certainly be a charge - please check with the company before agreeing to any work being carried out.
- North East Peripherals, tel: 01224 649745, 675-677 George Street, Aberdeen AB25 3XP www.neponline.co.uk
- iFix (MacBooks, iPads, iPhones), tel: 01224 516169, 35 Hosefield Avenue, Aberdeen AB15 5NN is www.ifixaberdeen.com
- Tech Rescue, tel: 01224 622312, 102 Rosemount Viaduct, Aberdeen AB25 1NX www.techrescueonline.co.uk
- Banchory PC Support, tel: 01330 822806, email: firstname.lastname@example.org,
- Apple Store (MacBooks only), tel: 01224 287900, 27/28 Ground Level Mall, Union Square, Guild Square, Aberdeen AB11 5PN www.apple.com/uk/retail/unionsquare/
- M&R Mobile, tel: 01224 636800, 284 George Street, Aberdeen AB25 1HL
|Disclaimer: The University of Aberdeen does not endorse any of the companies listed above, or their services. You are advised to contact a company before taking your laptop to their premises.|