PhD, MSc, BSc(Hons)
- Email Address
- Telephone Number
- +44 (0)1224 438039
- Office Address
Postgraduate Education Group, Institute of Applied Health Sciences University of Aberdeen Room 1.078 Polwarth Building Foresterhill Aberdeen AB25 2ZD
- School of Medicine, Medical Sciences and Nutrition
Janet graduated from the University of Strathclyde with a BSc (Hons) in Food Science and microbiology, then gained a MSc(Med sci) in Human Nutrition from the University of Glasgow. After graduating she spent 7 years working as a research assistant, at the Rowett Research Institute, Aberdeen on a series of Food Standards Agency and EU human intervention and supplementation projects investigating the uptake and potential antioxidant/oxidant effects of flavonoids and selenium on human health. During this time she completed her PhD at the University of Aberdeen which focussed on dietary flavonoid intake and colorectal cancer risk. On completing her PhD she undertook a Marie Curie Industrial Research Fellowship based at Unilever R&D, Vlaardingen in the Netherlands. In 2005 she returned to Aberdeen to join the Public Health Nutrition Research Group as a Research Fellow in nutrition and to manage the Scottish Collaborative Group Food Frequency Questionnaire service.
In 2011 she moved into lecturing co-ordinating post graduate courses as part of the International Health & Management and Global Health programmes, before returning to Public Health Nutrition as programme co-ordinator for the MSc in Human Nutrition in February 2013 to 2018. Currently, she coordinates the online Masters in Public Health
- Investigating the role of diet in relation to disease, current project have a focus on impact of diet when managing inflammatory bowel disease.
- Food security to ensure provision of healthy sustainable diets
- Dietary assessment methods and development of novel food composition databases both locally in UK and internationally.
- Development of nutrient and food portion databases to support calculation packages linked to dietary assessment tools including web-based 24hr recall and food frequency questionnaires. These are for both local and internatonal projects based in Nepal, India and Saudi Arabia.
- Design and completion of validation studies for food questionnaire questionnaires
- Food security: maximinising nutirent quality and minimisation of environmental impact of rice production; calculation of environmental impact of diets meeting dietary recommendations.
- Development of novel nutrititive food composition databases to factilitate the epidemiological assessment of dietary intake and disease risk.
- Investigating the role of diet in relation to inflammatory bowel disease
Funding and Grants
World Wildlife Fund 2010, Livewell project: A balance of healthy and sustainable food choices. Kyle J, MacDiarmid J, Johnson A & McNeill G.
Chief Scientists Office 2016, Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) and the role of dietary intake patterns for relapse of condition.
- Post-graduate teaching within the Institute of Applied Health Sciences: develiving lectures on a range Human Nutrition related topics
- Programme co-ordinator for online Master in Public Health
- Co-ordinator for following courses:
- Public Health Nutrition
- Contribute to teaching on the following courses
- Introduction to Global Health
- Challenges in Global Nutrition
- Foundations of Nutrition
- Nutrition & Health
- 1st year Medicine
- CPD Introductory & Advanced Short Courses in Dietary Assessment Methods
Page 1 of 6 Results 1 to 10 of 55
Creation, Development and Enhancement of Academic Peer Review Panel to support the development and deployment of assessments14th University of Aberdeen Annual Academic Development Symposium 2023Contributions to Conferences: Posters
Bridging barriers to advance multisector approaches to improve food security, nutrition and population health in Nepal: transdisciplinary perspectivesBMC Public Health, vol. 19, 961Contributions to Journals: Articles
The Twazon Arabic Weight Loss App: App-Based Intervention for Saudi Women With ObesityJMIR Mhealth and Uhealth, vol. 7, no. 5, 10923Contributions to Journals: Articles
Relationship between pro-environmental attitudes and behaviour and dietary intake patternsSustainable Production and Consumption, vol. 16, pp. 216-226Contributions to Journals: Articles
Effect of increasing fruit and vegetable intake by dietary intervention on nutritional biomarkers and attitudes to dietary change: a randomised trialEuropean Journal of Nutrition, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 1855-1872Contributions to Journals: Articles
Relationship Between Evidence Requirements, User Expectations, and Actual Experiences: Usability Evaluation of the Twazon Arabic Weight Loss AppJMIR human factors, vol. 5, no. 2, e16Contributions to Journals: Articles
Dietary iodine exposure and brain structures and cognition in older people: Exploratory analysis in the Lothian Birth Cohort 1936Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 971-979Contributions to Journals: Articles
Assessing the relative validity of the Scottish Collaborative Group FFQ for measuring dietary intake in adultsPublic Health Nutrition, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 449-455Contributions to Journals: Articles
Type and extent of trans-disciplinary co-operation to improve food security, health and household environment in low and middle income countries: systematic reviewBMC Public Health, vol. 16, 1093Contributions to Journals: Articles
Dietary factors and biomarkers of systemic inflammation in older people: the Lothian Birth Cohort 1936British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 114, no. 7, pp. 1088-1098Contributions to Journals: Articles