Dr Jean-Christophe Comte
Hydrogeology, Groundwater modelling, Hydrogeophysics
- 2019-present: Senior Lecturer in Hydrogeology, School of Geosciences, University of Aberdeen
- 2014-2019: Lecturer in Hydrogeology, School of Geosciences, University of Aberdeen
- 2014-2016: Visiting researcher, Queen's University Belfast
- 2009-2014: Postdoctoral research fellow in Hydrogeology/Hydrogeophysics, School of Planning Architecture and Civil Engineering, Queen's University Belfast
- 2008: PhD in Hydrogeology, University of Avignon 'Contribution of electrical resistivity tomography to variable-density groundwater flow modelling in coastal aquifers - Application to three contrasted climate settings (Canada, New Caledonia, Senegal)'
- 2003-2009: Hydrogeologist consultant, HYDRIAD, Nimes
- 2002-2003: DESS (MSc2) Hydrogeology, University of Avignon
- 1998-2002: DEUG-Licence-Maitrise IUP (BSc, MSc1) Geological and Environmental Engineering, University Paul Sabatier Toulouse
- Regional quantitative hydrogeology
- Integrated approaches for aquifer characterisation and modelling
- Application of geophysical methods for parameterisation and calibration of groundwater models
- Groundwater resources in complex hydrogeological environments, including coastal, insular, hard rock and volcanic aquifers
- Sustainable management of fresh groundwater resources in coastal aquifer systems
Research fellows (ongoing)
- Dr Andres Gonzalez Quiros - Royal Society Newton International Fellow
- Dr Syed Mustafa - NERC Connect4WR Researcher
PhD students (ongoing)
- Oluwaseun Olabode - The potential of managed aquifer recharge in Sub-saharan Africa
- Hamish Johnson - Groundwater and nutrient dynamics in heterogeneous agricultural catchments
- Yogendra Kumar - Quantifying fracture flow with the self-potential method
- Jesus Mezquita - Hydrogeophysical approaches for characterising flow and storage in weathered/fractured aquifers
- Joel Blackburn - Understanding stream-aquifer interactions and their influence on flow regimes and fluvial processes in a newly restored ephemeral stream
Recently completed PhD students (Aberdeen)
- Samson Oiro - Impact of climate change and human activities on groundwater resources in the Nairobi and Tiwi aquifers: two strategic Kenyan aquifers under high pressure
Funding and Grants
- GCRF/Scottish Funding Council Covid-19 Response Research Grant - COVID-19 and water security in the world's largest refugee camp: can groundwater development safely meet the increased water demand to fight COVID-19 in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh? (2020-2021). PI.
- World Bank/AURECON applied research grant - Groundwater numerical modelling in support of strengthening of water resources planning, monitoring and management in Kenya (2018-2020). PI.
- AHRC/GCRF/University of Nottingham Research Grant - Kisima project: Historical and future groundwater well management on Kilwa Kisiwani island, Tanzania (2019-2020). Co-I.
- Royal Society Newton International Fellowship (Dr Andres Gonzalez Quiros) - Monitoring and coupled hydrogeophysical modelling of saltwater intrusion in heterogeneous coastal aquifers (2019-2021).
- NERC/DFID Research Grant [NE/S005943/1] - SHEAR Programme: Connect4 water resilience: connecting water resources, communities, drought and flood hazards, and governance across 4 countries in the Limpopo basin (2018-2020). PI.
- NERC Urgency Grant [NE/R002568/1] - Extreme rainfall and floods in arid regions (Botswana): replenishment or contamination of water resources? (2017-2018). PI.
- United Utilities Water/Environmental Agency applied research grant - Understanding stream-aquifer interactions and their influence on flow regimes and fluvial processes in a newly restored ephemeral stream (2017-2022). Co-PI.
- Royal Geographical Society (with IBG) Environment and Sustainability Research Grant [ESRG3/16] - East African groundwater resources under climatic and human pressure (2016-2017). PI.
- Geological Survey of Ireland Research Grant [2015-SC-003] - Determining fractured bedrock aquifer parameters using Magnetic Resonance Sounding to better constrain numerical groundwater models in support of catchment scale water resource management (2016). Co-I.
- Elphinstone Fund/Water Resources Management Authority of Kenya PhD Scholarship (Mr S. Oiro) - Comparative hydrogeology of the Nairobi volcanic suite aquifer and the Tiwi coastal aquifer (2015-2018).
- NERC/DFID/ESRC Research Grant [NE/L001888/1] - UPGro Programme: Towards Groundwater security in coastal East Africa (2013-2014). PI.
- EuropeAid/African Union Research Grant [EuropeAid/130-741/D/ACT/ACP] - Groundwater resource in basement rocks of Africa (2012-2015). Co-I.
- Department of Employment and Learning Northern Ireland PhD Scholarship (Mr N. Dickson) - Incorporation of multi-scale hydrogeophysical datasets into numerical groundwater models (2012-2015).
Page 2 of 4 Results 11 to 20 of 36
Modern sediment records of hydroclimatic extremes and associated potential contaminant mobilization in semi-arid environments: lessons learnt from recent flood-drought cycles in southern BotswanaJournal of Soils and Sediments, vol. 20, pp. 1632–1650Contributions to Journals: Articles
Groundwater in Fractured Bedrock Environments: Managing Catchment and Subsurface ResourcesGeological Society of London, London. 250 pagesBooks and Reports: Books
Analysis and numerical modelling of large-scale controls on aquifer structure and hydrogeological properties in the African basement (Benin, West Africa)Geological Society Special Publications , vol. 479, no. 1, pp. 81-100Contributions to Journals: Articles
Drivers, patterns and velocity of saltwater intrusion in a stressed aquifer of the East African coast: Joint analysis of groundwater and geophysical data in southern KenyaJournal of African Earth Sciences, vol. 149, no. 1, pp. 334-347Contributions to Journals: Articles
Regional-scale analysis of the effect of managed aquifer recharge on saltwater intrusion in irrigated coastal aquifers: long-term groundwater observations and model simulations in NE TunisiaJournal of Coastal Research, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 91-110Contributions to Journals: Articles
Hydrology at Aberdeen – thinking about water locally and globallyScottish Geographical Journal, vol. 135, no. 3-4, pp. 267-286Contributions to Journals: Articles
Using stable water isotopes to identify spatial-temporal controls on groundwater recharge in two contrasting East African aquifer systemsHydrological Sciences Journal, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 862-877Contributions to Journals: Articles
Catchment-scale heterogeneity of flow and storage properties in a weathered/fractured hard rock aquifer from resistivity and magnetic resonance surveys: implications for groundwater flow paths and the distribution of residence timesGeological Society Special Publications , vol. 479, pp. 35-58Contributions to Journals: Articles
Joint use of singular value decomposition and Monte-Carlo simulation for estimating uncertainty in surface NMR inversionJournal of Applied Geophysics, vol. 144, pp. 28-36Contributions to Journals: Articles
Effect of volcanic dykes on coastal groundwater flow and saltwater intrusion: a field-scale multiphysics approach and parameter evaluationWater Resources Research, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 2171-2198Contributions to Journals: Articles