Dr Jean-Christophe Comte
Dr Jean-Christophe Comte
Hydrogeology, Groundwater modelling, Hydrogeophysics
- 2019-present: Senior Lecturer in Hydrogeology, School of Geosciences, University of Aberdeen
- 2014-2019: Lecturer in Hydrogeology, School of Geosciences, University of Aberdeen
- 2014-2016: Visiting researcher, Queen's University Belfast
- 2009-2014: Postdoctoral research fellow in Hydrogeology/Hydrogeophysics, School of Planning Architecture and Civil Engineering, Queen's University Belfast
- 2008: PhD in Hydrogeology, Department of Geology, University of Avignon 'Contribution of electrical resistivity tomography to variable-density groundwater flow modelling in coastal aquifers - Application to three contrasted climate settings (Canada, New Caledonia, Senegal)'
- 2003-2009: Hydrogeologist consultant, HYDRIAD, Nimes
- 2002-2003: DESS (MSc2) Hydrogeology, University of Avignon
- 1998-2002: DEUG-Licence-Maitrise IUP (BSc, MSc1) Geological and Environmental Engineering, University Paul Sabatier Toulouse
*!NEW!* 2x fully-funded 4-years PhD opportunities
- Sustainable management of fresh groundwater resources in coastal East Africa - NERC QUADRAT Doctoral Training Partnership
- The role of groundwater in adapting to climate change and increasing resilience to drought in Scotland - Scottish Government Hydro Nation Scholars Programme
- Editor, Hydrogeology Journal - Official Journal of the International Association of Hydrogeologists (since 2018); formerly Associate Editor (2014-2018)
- Quantitative hydrogeology
- Hydrogeophysical methods for aquifer parameter estimation and calibration of groundwater models
- Groundwater resources in complex hydrogeological environments, including coastal, islands, fractured rocks and volcanic aquifers
- Saltwater intrusion and sustainability of fresh groundwater resources in coastal aquifer systems
- Groundwater and resilience to global changes, incl. urban hydrogeology, floods & droughts, interactions with surface water, managed aquifer recharge
- Hydrogeological properties and processes underpinning sustainable geothermal development
Research fellows (ongoing)
- Dr Andres Gonzalez Quiros - Royal Society Newton International Fellow (honorary)
PhD students (ongoing)
- Oluwaseun Olabode - The potential of managed aquifer recharge in Sub-saharan Africa
- Hamish Johnson - Groundwater and nutrient dynamics in heterogeneous agricultural catchments
- Yogendra Kumar - Quantifying fracture flow with the self-potential method
- Joel Blackburn - Understanding stream-aquifer interactions and their influence on flow regimes and fluvial processes in a newly restored ephemeral stream
Recently completed PhD students (Aberdeen)
- Jesus Mezquita - Hydrogeophysical approaches for characterising flow and storage in weathered/fractured aquifers
- Samson Oiro - Impact of climate change and human activities on groundwater resources in the Nairobi and Tiwi aquifers: two strategic Kenyan aquifers under high pressure
Funding and Grants
- Department for the Economy/Geological Survey of Northern Ireland - Near-surface geophysical characterisation at the Stormont Estate, Belfast to support its geothermal development (2022). Co-PI, with Queen's University Belfast.
- GCRF/Academy of Medical Sciences/Geological Survey of Ireland - Groundwater-g: Supporting groundwater resources management using low-cost microgravity technology (2020-2022). Co-I, led by Queen's University Belfast.
- GCRF/Scottish Funding Council Covid-19 Response Research Grant - COVID-19 and water security in the world's largest refugee camp: can groundwater development safely meet the increased water demand to fight COVID-19 in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh? (2020-2021). PI.
- World Bank/AURECON applied research grant - Groundwater numerical modelling in support of strengthening of water resources planning, monitoring and management in Kenya (2018-2020). PI.
- AHRC/GCRF/University of Nottingham Research Grant - Kisima project: Historical and future groundwater well management on Kilwa Kisiwani island, Tanzania (2019-2020). Co-I, led by the University of Dar Es Salaam.
- Royal Society Newton International Fellowship (Dr Andres Gonzalez Quiros) - Monitoring and coupled hydrogeophysical modelling of saltwater intrusion in heterogeneous coastal aquifers (2019-2021).
- NERC/DFID Research Grant [NE/S005943/1] - SHEAR Programme: Connect4 water resilience: connecting water resources, communities, drought and flood hazards, and governance across 4 countries in the Limpopo basin (2018-2020). PI.
- NERC Urgency Grant [NE/R002568/1] - Extreme rainfall and floods in arid regions (Botswana): replenishment or contamination of water resources? (2017-2018). PI.
- United Utilities Water/Environmental Agency applied research grant - Understanding stream-aquifer interactions and their influence on flow regimes and fluvial processes in a newly restored ephemeral stream (2017-2022). PI.
- Royal Geographical Society (with IBG) Environment and Sustainability Research Grant [ESRG3/16] - East African groundwater resources under climatic and human pressure (2016-2017). PI.
- Geological Survey of Ireland Research Grant [2015-SC-003] - Determining fractured bedrock aquifer parameters using Magnetic Resonance Sounding to better constrain numerical groundwater models in support of catchment scale water resource management (2016). Co-I, led by Queen's University Belfast.
- Elphinstone Fund/Water Resources Management Authority of Kenya PhD Scholarship (Mr S. Oiro) - Comparative hydrogeology of the Nairobi volcanic suite aquifer and the Tiwi coastal aquifer (2015-2018).
- NERC/DFID/ESRC Research Grant [NE/L001888/1] - UPGro Programme: Towards Groundwater security in coastal East Africa (2013-2014). PI.
- EuropeAid/African Union Research Grant [EuropeAid/130-741/D/ACT/ACP] - Groundwater resource in basement rocks of Africa (2012-2015). Co-I, led by Queen's University Belfast.
- Department of Employment and Learning Northern Ireland PhD Scholarship (Mr N. Dickson) - Incorporation of multi-scale hydrogeophysical datasets into numerical groundwater models (2012-2015).
- MSc Geophysics Programme Director
- GL5059 Near surface and Environmental Geophysics (MSc Geophysics) - course coordinator
- GL4535 Geoscience and the UN Sustainable Development Goals | Groundwater resources (BSc year 4)
- GG4071 Environmental Hydrology | Groundwater hydrology (BSc year 4)
- GG2510 Mapping and Monitoring the Environment | Environmental geophysics (BSc year 2)
- GG2013 Physical Environments | Groundwater: An introduction (BSc year 2)
Page 1 of 6 Results 1 to 10 of 51
Quantifying heterogeneity in ecohydrological partitioning in urban green spaces through the integration of empirical and modelling approachesEnvironmental Monitoring and Assessment, vol. 195, no. 4, 468Contributions to Journals: Articles
Near-surface geophysical characterisation at the Stormont Estate, Belfast to support its geothermal developmentCommissioned by Northern Ireland Department for the Economy. 46 pagesBooks and Reports: Commissioned Reports
Long-term geomorphic adjustments following the recoupling of a tributary to its main-stem riverGeomorphology, vol. 108561, 108561Contributions to Journals: Articles
Influence of tides on the effectiveness of artificial freshwater injection in mitigating seawater intrusion in an unconfined coastal aquiferJournal of HydrologyContributions to Journals: Articles
- [ONLINE] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2022.129043
Modelling of groundwater recharge in the megacity of Lagos, Nigeria: preliminary results using WetSpass-MAdvances in Geosciences (ADGEO), vol. 59, pp. 53-57Contributions to Journals: Articles
Occurrence of methane oxidizing bacteria and methanogenic archaea in Earth’s cave systems: a metagenomic analysisFrontiers in Ecology and Evolution, 909865Contributions to Journals: Articles
Surface water-groundwater interactions and local land use control water quality impacts of extreme rainfall and flooding in a vulnerable semi-arid region of Sub-Saharan AfricaJournal of Hydrology, vol. 609, 127834Contributions to Journals: Articles
Laboratory measurements of zeta potential in fractured Lewisian gneiss: implications for the characterization of flow in fractured crystalline bedrockApplied Sciences, vol. 12, no. 1, 180Contributions to Journals: Articles
Effect of surface water level fluctuations on the performance of near-bank managed aquifer recharge from injection wellsWater , vol. 13, no. 21, 3013Contributions to Journals: Articles
Hydrogeophysical model calibration and uncertainty analysis via full integration of PEST/PEST++ and COMSOLEnvironmental Modelling and Software, vol. 145, 105183Contributions to Journals: Articles