- Since July 2020: Lecturer in Geography and Environment, University of Aberdeen, Scotland
- 2018 - 2020 PostDoc at the Swiss Federal Research Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape on further developing the Swiss Landscape Monitoring Programme for the Federal Office of the Environment
- 2017 -2018 PostDoc at the Institute of Geography, School of Geosciences, University of Edinburgh, UK. Project on mapping tranquillity as a landscape quality in a Scottish national park using interviews and social media data. Funded by SNSF.
- 2016 -2017: PostDoc at the Geography Department, University of Zurich, Switzerland. Project on combining quantitative and qualitative methods for assessing cultural landscape values from bottom-up descriptions. Funded by the cogito foundation.
- 2012 -2016: PhD in Geography at the University of Zurich. Title: From Space to Place in the Bolivian Amazon – Representing Landscape Perceptions with Ethnographic and GIS Approaches.
- 2009-2012 Certificate of Advanced Studies (CAS) in Development and Cooperation at nadel, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
- 2009-2012 Programme Coordination at the NGO Biovision Foundation: coordination and monitoring of sustainable development projects in East Africa
- 2009 Master in Geographic Information Science at the University of Zurich, Switzerland
Broadly, my research interests revolve around people and landscapes. Using interdisciplinary approaches I investigate how we can best assess landscape perception and people's relationship to particular landscapes. I use a variety of data sources, including social media data, public surveys and participatory GIS to assess cultural landscape values. Recently, I have also worked on developing interdisciplinary approaches for mapping tranquillity, and in how we can extract landscape descriptions through ethnographic methods and novel digital data sources such as digitised historic texts.
I contribute to teaching on the following courses:
- GG1510 Global Worlds, Local Challenges
- GG2509 Environment and Society
- GG2510 Mapping and Monitoring the Environment
- GG3057 Land and Marine Conservation
- GG3069 Remote Sensing and GIS
- GG3570 Concepts in Human Geography
- GG4537 Geographical Issues
- GG5056 Contemporary Environmental Challenges
I also supervise Master dissertations. Previously supervised:
- Hartmann, M. (2019): Automated recognition of outdoor recreation activities from social media photographs. ETH Zurich and WSL. Main supervisor.
- Henzi, M. (2017): Mapping and GIS analysis of Seri place names along the Sonora coast in Mexico. University of Zurich. Main supervisor.
- Bär, M. (2017): Real-time Multiplayer Online Location-based Game for Geographic Information Mining. University of Zurich. Co-supervisor.
- Huldi, R. (2015): Automatically Extracting Landscape Descriptions from Trip Reports. Introducing a Method based on Sentiment Analysis and Valency Grammar. University of Zurich. Co-supervisor.