Dr Jean-Christophe Comte
Hydrogeology, Groundwater modelling, Hydrogeophysics
- 2019-present: Senior Lecturer in Hydrogeology, School of Geosciences, University of Aberdeen
- 2014-2019: Lecturer in Hydrogeology, School of Geosciences, University of Aberdeen
- 2014-2016: Visiting researcher, Queen's University Belfast
- 2009-2014: Postdoctoral research fellow in Hydrogeology/Hydrogeophysics, School of Planning Architecture and Civil Engineering, Queen's University Belfast
- 2008: PhD in Hydrogeology, University of Avignon 'Contribution of electrical resistivity tomography to variable-density groundwater flow modelling in coastal aquifers - Application to three contrasted climate settings (Canada, New Caledonia, Senegal)'
- 2003-2009: Hydrogeologist consultant, HYDRIAD, Nimes
- 2002-2003: DESS (MSc2) Hydrogeology, University of Avignon
- 1998-2002: DEUG-Licence-Maitrise IUP (BSc, MSc1) Geological and Environmental Engineering, University Paul Sabatier Toulouse
- Regional quantitative hydrogeology
- Integrated approaches for aquifer characterisation and modelling
- Application of geophysical methods for parameterisation and calibration of groundwater models
- Groundwater resources in complex hydrogeological environments, including coastal, insular, hard rock and volcanic aquifers
- Sustainable management of fresh groundwater resources in coastal aquifer systems
Research fellows (ongoing)
- Dr Andres Gonzalez Quiros - Royal Society Newton International Fellow
- Dr Syed Mustafa - NERC Connect4WR Researcher
PhD students (ongoing)
- Oluwaseun Olabode - The potential of managed aquifer recharge in Sub-saharan Africa
- Hamish Johnson - Groundwater and nutrient dynamics in heterogeneous agricultural catchments
- Yogendra Kumar - Quantifying fracture flow with the self-potential method
- Jesus Mezquita - Hydrogeophysical approaches for characterising flow and storage in weathered/fractured aquifers
- Joel Blackburn - Understanding stream-aquifer interactions and their influence on flow regimes and fluvial processes in a newly restored ephemeral stream
Recently completed PhD students (Aberdeen)
- Samson Oiro - Impact of climate change and human activities on groundwater resources in the Nairobi and Tiwi aquifers: two strategic Kenyan aquifers under high pressure
Funding and Grants
- GCRF/Scottish Funding Council Covid-19 Response Research Grant - COVID-19 and water security in the world's largest refugee camp: can groundwater development safely meet the increased water demand to fight COVID-19 in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh? (2020-2021). PI.
- World Bank/AURECON applied research grant - Groundwater numerical modelling in support of strengthening of water resources planning, monitoring and management in Kenya (2018-2020). PI.
- AHRC/GCRF/University of Nottingham Research Grant - Kisima project: Historical and future groundwater well management on Kilwa Kisiwani island, Tanzania (2019-2020). Co-I.
- Royal Society Newton International Fellowship (Dr Andres Gonzalez Quiros) - Monitoring and coupled hydrogeophysical modelling of saltwater intrusion in heterogeneous coastal aquifers (2019-2021).
- NERC/DFID Research Grant [NE/S005943/1] - SHEAR Programme: Connect4 water resilience: connecting water resources, communities, drought and flood hazards, and governance across 4 countries in the Limpopo basin (2018-2020). PI.
- NERC Urgency Grant [NE/R002568/1] - Extreme rainfall and floods in arid regions (Botswana): replenishment or contamination of water resources? (2017-2018). PI.
- United Utilities Water/Environmental Agency applied research grant - Understanding stream-aquifer interactions and their influence on flow regimes and fluvial processes in a newly restored ephemeral stream (2017-2022). Co-PI.
- Royal Geographical Society (with IBG) Environment and Sustainability Research Grant [ESRG3/16] - East African groundwater resources under climatic and human pressure (2016-2017). PI.
- Geological Survey of Ireland Research Grant [2015-SC-003] - Determining fractured bedrock aquifer parameters using Magnetic Resonance Sounding to better constrain numerical groundwater models in support of catchment scale water resource management (2016). Co-I.
- Elphinstone Fund/Water Resources Management Authority of Kenya PhD Scholarship (Mr S. Oiro) - Comparative hydrogeology of the Nairobi volcanic suite aquifer and the Tiwi coastal aquifer (2015-2018).
- NERC/DFID/ESRC Research Grant [NE/L001888/1] - UPGro Programme: Towards Groundwater security in coastal East Africa (2013-2014). PI.
- EuropeAid/African Union Research Grant [EuropeAid/130-741/D/ACT/ACP] - Groundwater resource in basement rocks of Africa (2012-2015). Co-I.
- Department of Employment and Learning Northern Ireland PhD Scholarship (Mr N. Dickson) - Incorporation of multi-scale hydrogeophysical datasets into numerical groundwater models (2012-2015).
Page 1 of 4 Results 1 to 10 of 37
Effect of surface water level fluctuations on the performance of near-bank managed aquifer recharge from injection wellsWater , vol. 13, no. 21, 3013Contributions to Journals: Articles
Hydrogeophysical model calibration and uncertainty analysis via full integration of PEST/PEST++ and COMSOLEnvironmental Modelling and Software, vol. 145, 105183Contributions to Journals: Articles
A framework for parameter estimation using sharp-interface seawater intrusion modelsJournal of Hydrology, vol. 600, 126509Contributions to Journals: Articles
Cool deltas: Sedimentological, geomorphological and geophysical characterization of ice-contact deltas and implications for their reservoir properties (Salpausselkä, Finland)Sedimentology, vol. 68, no. 7, pp. 3057-3101Contributions to Journals: Articles
The effect of typical geological heterogeneities on the performance of managed aquifer recharge: physical experiments and numerical simulationsHydrogeology JournalContributions to Journals: Articles
A longer-term perspective on soil moisture, groundwater and stream flow response to the 2018 drought in an experimental catchment in the Scottish HighlandsHydrological Processes, vol. 35, no. 6, e14206Contributions to Journals: Articles
Hydrogeological controls on the flow regime of an ephemeral temperate stream flowing across an alluvial fanJournal of Hydrology, vol. 595, 125994Contributions to Journals: Articles
Multisector Collaborative Groundwater-Surface Water Modelling Approach to Improve Resilience to Hydrological Extremes in the Limpopo River BasinAdvances in Geoethics and Groundwater Management: Theory and Practice for a Sustainable Development. Abrunhosa, M., Chambel, A., Peppoloni, S., Chaminé, H. I. (eds.). Cham: Springer pp. 397-400, 4 pages.Chapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings: Conference Proceedings
Quantification of groundwater storage heterogeneity in weathered/fractured basement rock aquifers using electrical resistivity tomography: sensitivity and uncertainty associated with petrophysical modellingJournal of Hydrology, vol. 593, 125637Contributions to Journals: Articles
Depletion of groundwater resources under rapid urbanisation in Africa: recent and future trends in the Nairobi Aquifer System, KenyaHydrogeology Journal, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 2635-2656Contributions to Journals: Articles