The University of Aberdeen will host a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) event for primary and secondary educators on Philosophy with Children.
We regret to inform you, the University of Aberdeen has postponed the Philosophy with Children Teacher CPD Day due to take place at University of Aberdeen on 7 May 2020.
Please accept our sincere apologises for any inconvenience this may cause but do be assured, the decision has been taken only after much consideration and reflects government issued guidance. The continued safety and wellbeing of you, visitors, the University and the wider community are very much our priority, and this decision is in the best interests of our students, staff and wider community, in light of the ongoing Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
We hope to run the Philosophy with Children course in November, dates are still being confirmed.
The course provides professional development in facilitating group discussion on philosophical topics (Philosophical Inquiry) as a method for developing pupil skills at the core of the Curriculum for Excellence. These include applying critical thinking in new contexts, thinking creatively to solve problems, understanding different beliefs and learning to participate responsibly in a community of inquiry.
Research indicates that pupils engaged in collaborative group discussion on philosophical questions benefit from:
- Increased self-confidence
- Better numeracy and literacy skills
- Greater ability to think creatively and critically about complex matters
- Greater ability to understand, recognize and respect alternative reasonable viewpoints
- Improved social behaviour, participation and concentration
This CPD event will cover all the essential aspects of Philosophy with Children including:
- Understanding Philosophy with Children, its aims and benefits
- How to run a Philosophy Inquiry with children
- How Philosophy with Children integrates with the Scottish Curriculum
|09.00 – 09.30||Registration and coffee|
|09.30 – 10.15||Inquiry 1|
|10.15 – 10.30||Review of Inquiry 1|
|10.30 – 11.00||What is Philosophy with Children?|
|11.00 – 11.15||Break|
|11.15 – 12.30||How to Run a PwC session|
|12.30 – 13.15||Lunch|
|13.15 – 14.00||Inquiry 2|
|14.00 – 14.15||Review of Inquiry 2|
|14.15 – 15.00||Philosophy and Curriculum for Excellence; Troubleshooting|
- Dr FEDERICO LUZZI
- Hosted by
- CPD Services, Research and Innovation, University of Aberdeen
- The Sir Duncan Rice Library, Seminar Room 224
To book on this course please contact us for the registration form.
Research and Innovation
University of Aberdeen
Tel: 01224 272484