There are a wide range of jobs that you can do during a University vacation, from working at a summer camp to taking a seasonal position in a hotel or restaurant. Even though it may not be what you want to do after graduation, these experiences will help you to develop a wide range of skills, such as time-keeping, professionalism, and customer awareness. All work experience is good experience and helps provide a stepping stone to the next stage of your career.
Resources for finding vacation work
- CareerConnect - our online portal for finding jobs and work experience
- Organisations offering international casual jobs
Internships and Placements
The terms “internships” and “placements” are used interchangeably by employers to refer to short periods of work experience that they offer to current students and recent graduates. Internships and placements can vary in length from a few weeks to 12 months. They are a great way to gain work experience, make industry contacts and develop skills.
There are various ways that you can find out about internship and placement opportunities.
Placements undertaken as part of a degree course
If you are interested in undertaking a placement as part of your degree course you should contact a member of staff in the relevant academic department. MSci Medical Science students can find details of industrial placements available to them on the School website.
Placements and internships undertaken outside of your studies, during academic vacations or after graduation
There are a wide range of resources you can use to find current opportunities:
• CareerConnect - our online portal for finding jobs and work experience
• Websites advertising internships/ placements in various job sectors
• Websites advertising internships/ placements in specific job sectors (This link will take you to a list of job sectors. Select the job sector you are interested in and you will be taken to a list of resources for that sector.)
• Websites for finding international work experience opportunities
In addition to these resources there are a number of work experience programmes which offer internships and placements. Use the boxes below to find out more.