Theology at Aberdeen focuses on the study of the Christian faith and tradition in the context of its history, institutions and its role today. Whether you have a personal, vocational, or intellectual interest in learning more about the Christian faith, Aberdeen is the place for you.
We offer a range of Theology degrees which you can read more about below.View available degree programmes
Theology and Divinity degrees at Aberdeen both concentrate on the study of Christian faith, life and doctrine in its historical, institutional and contemporary contexts, and both the Bachelor of Divinity and Bachelor of Theology degrees are accredited by the Church of Scotland.
Theology has been taught at Aberdeen since the university was founded in 1495. You will join an international community of students and leading academics carrying forward 500+ years of tradition in the highest-quality teaching and researching all aspects of theology and ministry, and with close links to experts in all the world’s major religions.
You will explore the history of the church, Old and New Testaments, practical theology, and theological ethics, and choose from a vast array of courses including Biblical languages, the history of the Church in the West, the Reformation in Scotland, classical and contemporary Christian doctrine, the role of religion in ethical and political debates, and religious aspects of disability.
You will get to grips with the ancient languages of Hebrew, Greek and Latin, study the Quran, Confucian and Daoist sacred texts, explore the anthropology and sociology of religion, and examine the links between spirituality, health and healing.
In addition to ministry and other roles in the church, your career options will be wide due to the intellectual skills you have gained, media and journalism, public service and administration, the NGO sector, business, government service, publishing, education, and research.
Available Programmes of Study
There are two semesters in the academic year with courses being offered in each semester. There is a range of courses on offer which alternate on a two year cycle in order to maximise choice and selection. There are no compulsory subjects and advice is available to all students to ensure suitable course selection.
Single Honours Degrees
You may also be interested in...
Joint Honours Degrees
- Anthropology and Theology & Religion
- Art History and Theology & Religion
- Celtic & Anglo Saxon Studies and Theology & Religion
- English and Theology & Religion
- Gaelic Studies and Theology & Religion
- History and Theology & Religion
- International Relations and Theology & Religion
- Philosophy and Theology & Religion
- Politics and Theology & Religion
- Sociology and Theology & Religion
- Spanish & Latin American Studies and Theology & Religion
- Spanish & Latin American Studies and Theology & Religion (5 years)
Why Study Theology at Aberdeen?
- A wide variety of courses: from biblical languages to the Reformation in Scotland, and from Buddhist philosophy to the stories of the prophets in Islam.
- An international community of eminent professors, including leading author and influential thinker Stanley Hauerwas, Professor of Theological Ethics.
- Specialist research and teaching centres include the Aberdeen University Centre for Ministry Studies, the Centre for Spirituality, Health and Disability, and the Kairos Forum for people with cognitive or intellectual disabilities.
- The inspiration of the beautiful Kingâ€™s College Chapel, begun in 1495 by University founder Bishop Elphinstone, a treasure-house of history and religious turbulence and today a precious interfaith space for a multifaith University community.
- Major historic treasures of national and international significance, including the archives of the Roman Catholic Church in Scotland pre-1878 and fascinating local records of local estates and families through 500 years of religious turmoil.
- Spectacular, award-winning Sir Duncan Rice Library, combining top-class study facilities with state-of-the-art technology, and our beautiful Divinity Library with an extensive collection of theological material.
- A packed programme of events, including theological lectures, café discussions, exhibitions and the annual May Festival with high profile speakers, scientists, authors and broadcasters debating big issues facing the world today.
- According to the 2018 National Student Survey (NSS), Theology and Religious Studies is one of six subjects at the University of Aberdeen to receive a 100% student satisfaction rating.
Get in Touch
Student Recruitment & Admissions
University of Aberdeen