Exclusive 2024 Enrolment: Open to applications for upcoming academic year only
Microbiology is the study of bacteria, yeasts and viruses at the level of protein and gene, cell, and microbial community.
We are ranked 1st in the UK for Anatomy and Physiology, The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023.
We offer a range of Microbiology degrees which you can read more about below.View available degree programmes
The University of Aberdeen International Study Centre offers preparation programmes for progression to undergraduate degree study at the university.Discover the International Study Centre
Microbiology is of growing importance in science, medicine, industry and society, as we seek on the one hand to control microbial pathogens in our hospitals and communities, while on the other, making use of an ever broader range of microorganisms in biotechnology industries. Microbiology is therefore also an applied science, helping health and medicine through the study of pathogens, their epidemiology, and resistance to antibiotics. Microorganisms are also widely used in the agriculture, food and environment industries, for instance in oil spill clean-up.
Through our degree programmes you will develop knowledge and understanding of microbiology at the molecular, cellular and systems levels. Building on that base, you will gain an in depth understanding of selected aspects of Microbiology that reflect the research expertise and strengths within the School, ensuring you are taught by leaders in a particular research field.
5 year MSci degree
You have the opportunity to undertake a year's placement in an industrial, commercial or research environment and graduate after five years with an MSci (an undergraduate Masters degree) instead of a BSc.
Why Study Microbiology at Aberdeen?
- Integrated teaching provision in the allied subject areas of Biochemistry, Genetics and Immunology.
- Taught by world-leading microbiologists based in the Institute of Medical Sciences, a dedicated research facility.
- Among the University's Microbiologists are members of the Aberdeen Fungal Group, the largest centre for medical mycology in the UK and one of the largest in the world.
- You will have opportunities for gaining (paid) experience in industry.
- Training is provided in both specialist and employment-related skills.
- We are ranked 1st in the UK for Anatomy and Physiology, The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023.
Get in Touch
Student Recruitment & Admissions
University of Aberdeen