Law at Aberdeen gives you a unique experience of breadth, depth, choice and quality, with courses accredited by the Law Society of Scotland and Society of Advocates. You can add options in English law, a modern European language or legal system, or other choices to further benefit your career. Aberdeen Law School is ranked 5th in the UK for Overall Student Satisfaction (National Student Survey 2022).
We offer a range of Law degrees which you can read more about below.View available degree programmes
Law at Aberdeen looks at the historical, social, political and economic forces that influence our legal systems and govern our societies. You will learn to think like a lawyer rather than just 'learn' law.
A major factor in our quality is the calibre and enthusiasm of our staff, testing your mental agility with complex, realistic legal scenarios as you get to grips with criminal, public and private law, legal systems, contracts, human rights, and explore family law, the law of property, and legal aspects of the EU.
You will have opportunities to hone your developing legal skills in student-led initiatives such as mock legal debating, our highly active Law Society, the students’ journal in which your work may be published, and our community law clinic.
You will graduate with great employment opportunities, both in legal professions and in careers for which the intellectual qualities you have developed will make you highly sought-after by employers, including business, politics, media, finance and banking, governmental bodies and departments, and the police force.
You will enjoy our special, warm welcome at the University of Aberdeen, benefit from excellent teaching, research with international impact, and a truly global experience as part of our friendly and vibrant international community. You will love our beautiful campus, great facilities for learning, sports and leisure, and the many opportunities to develop personally as well as professionally, with the broader horizons and career advantages you will gain from study abroad.
Graduates wishing to apply for an LLB must apply for the 2-year LLB Accelerated degree – Law Accelerated (M115) or Law with English Law Accelerated (M116). Tuition fees for the Accelerated programmes are at a separate rate. In the event that a Graduate undertakes a 4-year or 5-year LLB degree, please note that tuition fees are charged each year of study at the same rate as those set for the Accelerated programme.
Available Programmes of Study
Single Honours Degrees
- Criminology and Sociology
- International Law and Comparative Law
- Law - Accelerated
- Law and European Legal Studies (5 years)
- Law with English Law
- Law with English Law - Accelerated
- Law with English Law and European Legal Studies (5 years)
Joint Honours Degrees
Major-Minor Honours Degrees
- Law and French Law (5 years)
- Law and German Law (5 years)
- Law and Spanish Law (5 years)
- Law with options in Accountancy
- Law with options in Business Management
- Law with options in Economics
- Law with options in French
- Law with options in Gaelic Language
- Law with options in German
- Law with options in Mandarin, LLB
- Law with options in Music
- Law with options in Spanish
Why Study Law at Aberdeen?
- Taught by top legal academics, who are shaping national and international policy, for example in regulation and the energy sector.
- Aberdeen Law Project: law students gaining experience through providing a free legal advice service for the public ranging from help with employment issues, housing, consumer rights and advice for small businesses facing financial difficulties.
- Community projects including students running employability skills workshops for inmates in prison, and workshops on law for school pupils.
- Our Law Society which organises a busy and varied programme of social, educational and supportive events, and the European Law Students’ Association - a local branch of a pan-European network.
- The Aberdeen Student Law Review, a student-led journal, which publishes our students’ work.
- Strong links with local and national employers, with members working in the legal profession regularly giving career talks to students.
- An exceptionally high professional employment rate, with our law graduates much in demand, not only in the UK but abroad too.
- In all LLB programmes, in each year of study you can take optional law courses or other subjects across the University, e.g. in anthropology or forensic medicine.
- Aberdeen law graduates today occupy roles at the top of Scotland's legal system.
- 81st in the world for Law (Times Higher Education World University Subject Rankings 2021)
- Our Law School ranks 5th in the UK for Overall Student Satisfaction (National Student Survey 2022)
Get in Touch
Student Recruitment & Admissions
University of Aberdeen