Genetics is the study of the inherited differences between individuals and is central to biology, medicine and biotechnology.
We are ranked 1st in the UK for Anatomy and Physiology, The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023.
We offer a range of Genetics degrees which you can read more about below.View available degree programmes
The University of Aberdeen International Study Centre offers preparation programmes for progression to undergraduate degree study at the university.Discover the International Study Centre
Genetics allows us to understand normal events such as development, growth and ageing in terms of the underlying molecular machinery of the cell and helps explain why these processes go wrong in disease.
When organisms reproduce the offspring tend to resemble their parents, but they are not identical to either parent, nor are they simply a mixture of the two parents. Genetics is concerned with explaining the behaviour of inherited characteristics, in terms of the underlying genetic machinery which turns a single cell (the fertilised egg) into a fly, a worm, or a human.
Genetics also explains how over longer time scales, living things change, or evolve, to produce the dazzling diversity of life.
5 year MSci degree
You have the opportunity to undertake a year's placement in an industrial, commercial or research environment and graduate after five years with an MSci (an undergraduate Masters degree) instead of a BSc.
Why Study Genetics at Aberdeen?
- Genetics has been revolutionised by the application of new genome sequencing technologies. You will benefit from the investment made in this technology from the formation of the Centre for Genome Enabled Biology and Medicine at the University.
- Throughout the programme there is a strong emphasis on medical and human genetics.
- Training is provided in both specialist and employment-related skills.
- Innovative and flexible teaching allowing you the student to follow special interests.
- You will have opportunities for gaining (paid) experience in industry.
- We are ranked 1st in the UK for Anatomy and Physiology, The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023.
Get in Touch
Student Recruitment & Admissions
University of Aberdeen