Biotechnology is the application of biology to improve the quality of human life.
We offer a range of Biotechnology degrees which you can read more about below.View available degree programmes
The University of Aberdeen International Study Centre offers preparation programmes for progression to undergraduate degree study at the university.Discover the International Study Centre
Biotechnology is a technology based on the unique properties of biological molecules, cells and organisms, and provides new ways of diagnosing disease, producing antibiotics, pharmaceuticals and chemical feedstocks for industrial processes, reducing industrial contamination of the environment and improving food safety.
The study of biotechnology at Aberdeen involves study of microbiology, biochemistry and genetics. Knowledge of all three subjects is crucial in an area where microorganisms are frequently being genetically engineered to perform novel or enhanced biochemical reactions, and will become increasingly important as synthetic biology is used throughout biotechnological processes.
The potential of biotechnology to provide new health products, new fuels such as hydrogen, advances in agriculture and management of the environment (e.g. oil spill clean-up) is immense but at present only partly tapped. Biotechnology is well-placed to contribute significantly to future sustainable technology development.
5 year MSci degree
You have the opportunity to undertake a year's placement in an industrial, commercial or research environment and graduate after five years with an MSci (an undergraduate Masters degree) instead of a BSc.
Available Programmes of Study
Why Study Biotechnology at Aberdeen?
- You will gain a broad base of knowledge regarding biotechnology at the molecular and cellular levels.
- First-class courses in Biochemistry, Genetics, Microbiology and Immunology.
- Innovative and flexible teaching allowing you the student to follow your particular interests.
- The University has a strong reputation in spinning out biotechnology start-up companies. For instance, there are over 30 patents worldwide pending or granted for their immunisation technology developed from shark immune systems.
- You will have opportunities for gaining (paid) experience in industry.
- Training is provided in both specialist and employment-related skills.
- Excellent staff and teaching facilities; 92% of our students were satisfied with teaching on courses in the School of Medical Sciences, and 91.8% of our students were satisfied that staff made the subject interesting (2014 National Student Survey).
Undergraduate EU Scholarship
The Aberdeen Global Undergraduate Scholarship is open to European Union (EU) students.
This is an £8,000 tuition fee discount available to eligible self-funded Undergraduate students who would have previously been eligible for Home (Scottish/EU) fee status.View Undergraduate EU Scholarship
Get in Touch
Student Recruitment & Admissions Service
University of Aberdeen