The primary goal of Biomedical Science is to enhance understanding of human body function in health and disease.
Biomedical Scientists bring together a broad range of subjects including anatomy, biochemistry, developmental biology, molecular biology, pharmacology, physiology. These combine to generate powerful multidisciplinary approaches to help unravel the problems associated with human diseases and to develop medicines and therapies to treat them. Biomedical Scientists are, therefore, often found at the cutting edge of medical research.
Advanced knowledge in a single discipline will be acquired in the third and fourth years of the programme.
5 year MSci degree
You have the opportunity to undertake a year's placement in an industrial, commercial or research environment and graduate after five years with an MSci (an undergraduate Masters degree) instead of a BSc.
Why Study Biomedical Sciences at Aberdeen?
- The programmes provide you with the scientific content of pre-clinical medicine plus the opportunity to study cellular processes from this whole-body perspective.
- You will gain a thorough grounding in the core medical sciences and a specialism chosen from Anatomy, Developmental Biology, Molecular Biology, Pharmacology, Physiology.
- Biomedical scientists in Aberdeen have made major medical advances, including co-discovery of insulin (receiving a Nobel Prize) and discovery of the brain’s morphine-like chemicals.
- You will acquire core skills and knowledge vital to the modern workplace which will also provide you with the ideal training for progress to graduate programmes in medical research, medicine, dentistry and other healthcare professions.
- Excellent teaching; 92% of our students were satisfied with teaching on courses in the School of Medical Sciences, and 91.8% of our students were satisfied that staff made the subject interesting (2014 National Student Survey).
- Modern teaching facilities and laboratories which will enhance your learning and provide you with an opportunity to experience working in a research focussed laboratory environment.
What You'll Study
Single Honours Degrees
Major-Minor Honours Degrees
Get in Touch
Student Recruitment & Admissions Service
University of Aberdeen