Undergraduate students on the University of Aberdeen Qatar campus have access to the same level of academic and personal support as students on the Aberdeen campus.
All Undergraduate students at the Qatar campus are allocated a Personal Tutor. A Personal Tutor is a member of academic staff who is there to help and guide students, supporting them with any problems that are affecting their experience at university.
Whether students wish to discuss academic or non-academic issues, they can do so in confidence and in the knowledge that their issue will be pursued to a satisfactory conclusion.
The key role of a Personal Tutor is to:
- welcome students and help them settle into University life.
- become a key contact for their students, providing advice and guidance relating to any concerns, referring to our wider support services when necessary
- meet with students at key points in the year, either one-to-one or as part of a group, to discuss experiences (Meetings will take place face to face on campus or online)
- encourage students to reflect on their progress in their studies and guide them on where to get detailed or specific advice regarding studies
- offer general support in achieving the UoA graduate attributes, enhancing employability and taking advantage of co-curricular opportunities
Personal Tutor’s may also be able to:
- provide a reference for a future employer or for postgraduate study
- provide general advice on how to reflect and improve academic performance
- offer support if engagement with studies or other factors suggest that students may be in difficulty (e.g. receiving a C6/7)
New Undergraduate students will be assigned to a Personal Tutor when commencing their studies. Wherever possible they will be assigned to an academic that matches their degree and discipline.
New Postgraduate students have a Programme Leader as their main point of contact and support.
In addition to the Personal Tutor the following people are the main points of contact for students should they have any concerns or issues they would like to discuss:
- Mrs Dawn McCartie
Senior Tutor and MBA Programme Leader
- Mr Tommy Dalay - Student Services Manager