UKRI OA policy monographs published from 1st of January 2024
This policy applies to in-scope monographs, book chapters and edited collections (see Annexe 1 of the UKRI policy for definition of in-scope outputs).
Requirements for long-form publications
- the final Version of Record or the Author’s Accepted Manuscript must be free to view and download via an online publication platform, publishers’ website, or institutional or subject repository within a maximum of 12 months of publication.
- the open access version has a Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) Licence or other licence permitted by UKRI and allows the reader to search for and reuse content, subject to proper attribution.
- the open access version should include, where possible, any images, illustrations, tables and other supporting content.
- where an Author’s Accepted Manuscript is deposited, it should be clear that this is not the final published version.
UKRI requires the open access version of long-form outputs to be published under a Creative Commons licence. A Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) licence is preferred to maximise opportunity for sharing and reuse but other Creative Commons licences are permitted. An Open Government Licence is also permitted when authors are subject to Crown Copyright.
Third party content included in the publication such as images, photographs, maps etc. may be subject to a more restrictive licence and this is considered compliant with the policy by UKRI.
UKRI recognises there may be rare instances where meeting open access requirements for long-form publications may not be possible. Further information is available at chapter 17 in the policy document. Please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the policy or your own publications. Further information and guidance will follow from UKRI and tools to help check journal open access policies are under development.
- Policy: https://www.ukri.org/publications/ukri-open-access-policy/
- News item: https://www.ukri.org/news/ukri-announces-new-open-access-policy/
- Explanation of policy changes: https://www.ukri.org/publications/ukri-open-access-policy-explanation-of-policy-changes/
- FAQ: UKRI-090222-UKRIOpenAccessPolicy-FAQs.pdf
- Non-derivative licence exception: No-derivatives licence exception – UKRI