We are interested in proposals that will harness the potential of this data and make it clinically accessible and useful.
Clinical decision support systems are well established clinical knowledge management tools designed to support diagnosis and investigation, treatment and long-term care.
Increasingly, managing and interpreting the large quantity of data being generated by the various clinical tools available today is becoming increasingly challenging.For example, medical imaging and continuous physiological monitoring, such as EEG/EMG, can produce huge amounts of data. Resources are needed to preserve and analyse these datasets and clinicians urgently require practical tools to assess the utility of this information in patient care. It is important to develop medical informatics services that can help healthcare professionals make sense of complex datasets.
We are interested in proposals that will harness the potential of this data and make it clinically accessible and useful. However, it is important that innovations in this area seamlessly integrate with current hardware and software infrastructures deployed within the NHS and by other healthcare providers.
For example, novel solutions could involve one or more of the following:
- Analysis of patterns in accumulated historical data and in newly acquired data to identify changes in a patient's condition in real time or provide early warning of any deterioration
- Use of data fusion techniques to produce 'smart' alerts for patients in high-dependency areas who are monitored using static, wired or wireless physiological monitoring
- Creation of algorithms to extract and interpret clinically relevant information from complex datasets
- Development of innovative methods to link together different types of data to aid or guide clinical decision making
Specifically out of scope for this call are:
- Bioinformatics and software for analysis and interpretation of genome data
- Patient record management or patient administration systems
- Clinic or practice management systems
- Clinical trial management software
For further information, visit the Wellcome website.