Dr Joyce Neilson
- Senior Lecturer, University of Aberdeen, UK (2017 - present)
- Lecturer, University of Aberdeen, UK (2011-2017)
- Teaching Fellow, University of Aberdeen, UK (2005 - 2011)
- Independent Consultant, Carbonates (1993-2013)
- BP Research, UK (1987-1993)
- Ph.D. student (NERC funded) - Watt, J.E. An experimental investigation of the controls on carbonate diagenetic textures and mineralogies. Imperial College, UK (1984-1987)
- Secretary, Petroleum Group, Geological Society of London (2013-15)
- Treasurer, Petroleum Group, Geological Society of London (2010-13)
- Associate Editor AAPGB (2010-2016)
- Effect of petroleum filling and fault controlled fluids on burial diagenesis in carbonates.
- Reservoir quality of Middle Eastern reservoirs
- Effect of rock texture (facies and diagenetic alteration) on fracture patterns in carbonates.
- Late Cambrian oceanic chemistry and climate (Oman and Newfoundland).
Ph.D. student Elliot Humphrey. Determining the main controls on fault-associated dolomitisation and their influence on reservoir quality distribution. Funded by NERC CDT/Equinor.
Late Cambrian oceanic chemistry and climate (Oman and Newfoundland).
Collaboration with UFRGS, Brazil. Global controls on mineralogy of oolitic carbonates and early marine cements in the late Cambrian– petrographic and geochemical studies. Implications for ocean chemistry and climate. Funded by Shell Brazil. Completed
Ph.D. student Ebrahim Heydari. Residual oil below the OWC in the Mishrif, Persian Gulf - an intergrated sedimentological and petrophysical study. Part funding from Talisman-Sinopec, Helix-RDS, AFES. Completed
Ph.D. student Rosalia Barili da Cunha (UK Supervisor). Stratigraphy, Sedimentology, Petrology and Geochemistry of the Port Au Port Group (Cambrian) in Newfoundland (Canada). Funded by Shell Brazil. Completed.
Ph.D. student Tom Haines. The Influence of Carbonate Depositional and Diagenetic Textures on Faulting in Carbonates. Funded by: UoA COPS Studentship, Total and BG). Completed.
Ph.D. student Emma Michie. Influence of Damage on the Petrophysical Properties of Carbonate Hosted Fault Zones. Funded by Total and BG. Completed.
Ph.D. student Salmeen Al Marjibi. Unravelling the depositional environments within the lower Andan Group (Al Bashir Fm., Late Cambrian) of north-central Oman. Funded by PDO. Completed.
Funding and Grants
- NERC CDT Ph.D. funding.
- Equinor Ph.D. funding.
- Shell-Brazil fieldwork funding Newfoundland.
- Petrophysics of Fractured Carbonates - Total E&P UK and BG International, brokered by ITF
- Equipment Grants (AFES)
- GL 2015 - Petrology and Mineralogy
- GL 3018 - Petroleum Geology. Course co-ordinator.
- GL 3521 - Sedimentology
- M.Sc. IPG - Carbonates
Page 1 of 3 Results 1 to 10 of 27
Stylolites and stylolite networks as primary controls on the geometry and distribution of carbonate diagenetic alterationsMarine and Petroleum GeologyContributions to Journals: Articles
The Steptoean Positive Carbon Isotope Excursion (SPICE), inorganic aragonite precipitation and seawater chemistry: Insights from the Middle - Late Cambrian Port au Port Group, NewfoundlandDepositional RecordContributions to Journals: Articles
Novel use of cathodoluminescence to identify differences in source rocks for Late Paleoindian quartzite toolsArchaeometry, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 875-887Contributions to Journals: Articles
The effect of rock type on natural water flooding and residual oil saturation below free water level and oil water contact: A case study from the Middle EastJournal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, vol. 193, 107392Contributions to Journals: Articles
Quantitative analysis of stylolite networks in different platform carbonate faciesMarine and Petroleum Geology, vol. 114, 104203Contributions to Journals: Articles
Tectonic controls on residual oil saturation below the present-day fluid contact level in reservoirs of the Persian GulfJournal of Asian Earth Sciences, vol. 190, 104133Contributions to Journals: Articles
Stylolite-controlled diagenesis of a mudstone carbonate reservoir: A case study from the Zechstein_2_Carbonate (Central European Basin, NW Germany)Marine and Petroleum Geology, vol. 109, pp. 88-107Contributions to Journals: Articles
Carbon isotopes, stratigraphy and environmental change: the Middle-Upper Cambrian Positive Excursion (SPICE) in Port-au-Port Group, Western Newfoundland, CanadaCanadian Journal of Earth Sciences, vol. 55, no. 11, pp. 1209-1222Contributions to Journals: Articles
Computation of fluid flow and pore-space properties estimation on micro-CT images of rock samplesComputers & Geosciences, vol. 106, pp. 118-129Contributions to Journals: Articles
Climatic and halokinetic controls on alluvial–lacustrine sedimentation during compressional deformation, Andean forearc, northern ChileBasin Research, vol. 27, pp. 634-657Contributions to Journals: Articles