King's Conference Centre
Geo Coordinates: 57.163965, -2.100406
Working

King's College Centre is set in beautiful historic surroundings. The Conference Centre is housed in the former University Library, adjacent to King's College Chapel, in Old Aberdeen. The library building was constructed in 1870 on the site of the Great Hall and Common School. The Great Hall, which was taken down in 1865, dated back to the early 16th century, when it was the central point for all University activity.

The expansion of the University in the 1960s resulted in the need for a larger library, and when part of the library transferred to the purpose built Queen Mother Library (now called The Sir Duncan Rice Library), the quadrangle became little used. Although the King's College building continued to be used, it was on a much smaller scale, and when it eventually closed in the 1980s, what had effectively been the "heart" of the University was lost.

In September 1991 the University of Aberdeen refurbished the King's Library, creating the King's College Conference Centre.

Many of the library's distinctive features - notably the fine east window in the auditorium and the barrel vaulted ceiling - have been carefully preserved and are appreciated by visitors to the Centre.

There are a number of meeting/syndicate rooms available on the first floor of the Centre.

For further information on conference and event services, please call the Conference and Events Office on either +44 (0)1224 272664 or email conf.events@abdn.ac.uk.

Disability Information

The DisabledGo service provides a pan-disability access guide to this building.