Dr Peter Hicks joined the School of Engineering at the University of Aberdeen in 2013. Dr Hicks holds an MMath from the University of Oxford and a PhD in Mathematics from the University of East Anglia. Prior to joining the University of Aberdeen, he was a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Sheffield, University College London and the University of East Anglia. He also spent time on industrial secondment work with AeroTex UK, investigating aircraft icing.
Dr Hicks' research interests are in fluid dynamics, mathematical modelling and industrial mathematics. His work is on the dynamics of violent fluid flows in relation to gas entrainment, phase change and splashing in droplet impacts, sloshing and ship slamming. He has also studied boundary layer receptivity and flows in porous media.
Dr Hicks is the programme coordinator for the MSc in Subsea Engineering, while he is also involved with the delivery of a range of undergraduate courses including in thermodynamics and fluid dynamics.
Course coordinator for EG3007 Engineering Analysis and Methods 1
Course coordinator for EG3521 Thermodynamics 1
Course contributor for EG40JJ Fluid Dynamics
- Further Info
Programme coordinator for the MSc in Subsea Engineering.
MSc projects coordinator.
S4S (Student Peer Mentoring) Coordinator.
Page 1 of 2 Results 1 to 10 of 18
Contributions to Journals
- Ricco, P. & Hicks, PD. (in press). 'Streamwise-travelling viscous waves in channel flows'. Journal of Engineering Mathematics.
- Hicks, PD. & Purvis, R. (2017). 'Gas-cushioned droplet impacts with a thin layer of porous media'. Journal of Engineering Mathematics, vol 102, no. 1, pp. 65-87.
[Online] DOI: 10.1007/s10665-015-9821-y
[Online] AURA: JEngMathPorousCushion_accepted.pdf
- Joseph, A., Sands, CM., Hicks, PD. & Chandler, HW. (2017). 'Convex hull method for the determination of vapour-liquid equilibria (VLE) phase diagrams for binary and ternary systems'. Fluid Phase Equilibria, vol 431, pp. 34-47.
[Online] DOI: 10.1016/j.fluid.2016.09.024
[Online] AURA: Accepted_manuscript.pdf
- Hicks, PD. & Ricco, P. (2015). 'Laminar Streaks in Oscillating Boundary Layers'. Procedia IUTAM, vol 14, pp. 264–273.
[Online] DOI: 10.1016/j.piutam.2015.03.049
[Online] AURA: ProIUTAM2014.pdf
- Hicks, PD. & Ricco, P. (2015). 'Laminar streak growth above a spanwise oscillating wall'. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol 768, pp. 348-374.
[Online] DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2015.98
[Online] AURA: HicksRiccoJFM2015_postprint.pdf
- Hicks, PD., Cooker, MJ. & Matthews, AJ. (2014). 'Saturation front evolution for liquid infiltration into a gas filled porous medium with counter-current flow'. European Journal of Mechanics B, Fluids, vol 43, pp. 202-215.
[Online] DOI: 10.1016/j.euromechflu.2013.09.001
- Hicks, PD. & Purvis, R. (2013). 'Liquid-solid impacts with compressible gas cushioning'. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol 735, pp. 120-149.
[Online] DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2013.487
[Online] AURA: squeezeHeat_JFM_v3.pdf
- Ricco, P., Shah, D. & Hicks, PD. (2013). 'Compressible laminar streaks with wall suction'. Physics of Fluids, vol 25, no. 5, 054110.
[Online] DOI: 10.1063/1.4807066
[Online] AURA: PoF2013.pdf
- Hicks, PD., Ermanyuk, EV., Gavrilov, NV. & Purvis, R. (2012). 'Air trapping at impact of a rigid sphere onto a liquid'. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol 695, no. -, pp. 310-320.
[Online] DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2012.20
- Hicks, PD. & Purvis, R. (2011). 'Air cushioning in droplet impacts with liquid layers and other droplets'. Physics of Fluids, vol 23, no. 6, 062104.
[Online] DOI: 10.1063/1.3602505
[Online] AURA: 1.3602505.pdf