This is a past event
Join us online as we mark the launch of the new Marine Simulator and see how this new cutting-edge facility is set to transform decommissioning operations and energy transition projects for our industry partners in the North Sea and beyond.
12:30pm-12.50pm Introductory Speeches:Professor George Boyne, Principal and Vice-Chancellor, University of AberdeenRoger Esson, Head of Industry & Partner Network, Net Zero Technology CentreJoel Mills, CEO, Offshore Simulator CentreMichael Matheson MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Net Zero, Energy and Transport, Scottish Government (pre-recorded)David Duguid, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Scotland, UK Government12.50pm-1:00pm Demonstration1:00pm-1:30pm Audience Q&A
About the Marine Simulator
- The walk-in, 300-degree, Marine Simulator at the National Decommissioning Centre (NDC) provides an immersive environment in which multiple entities, such as vessels, cranes and remotely operated underwater vehicles, can be controlled and interacted with on single or multiple tasks, reflecting the complexities of operating in the North Sea.
- The simulator will be primarily used to replicate decommissioning, asset repurposing and the integration of offshore renewables within the energy system. It provides the opportunity for all stakeholders to access capabilities that can assist in the development of new technologies, techniques and decision making for renewables and sustainable decommissioning, helping to reduce risks and achieve net-zero goals.
- The first funded project in the simulator involves assessing novel techniques for the installation of anchor systems for offshore floating wind turbines.
- The system is also Smart City capable, allowing the NDC to build a virtual model of the North Sea.
- By utilising its powerful visualisation and data handling capacity to link spatial information and modelling interactions, the system will provide vital insights to support decision making.
- Hosted by
- National Decommissioning Centre
- Online Event