International Student Fees for 2018/2019

Undergraduate Arts-based Programmes


Undergraduate Science-based Programmes


Undergraduate Clinical Medicine (MBChB)


Postgraduate Arts-based Programmes & Select LLM Programmes


Postgraduate Science-based Programmes


Graduate Business School MSc & Select LLM Programmes


Graduate Business School MBA Programmes

LLM with Professional Skills


MSc Finance and Investment Management/Finance and Real Estate with CFA and MSc Real Estate (International Option)


Graduate Business School MBA Energy Management


Art & Social Science based PhD 


Science based PhD 


*Please be advised that some programmes have different tuition fees from those listed above and that some programmes also have additional costs. We recommend that you check our Tuition Fees pages as well as the Undergraduate and Postgraduate prospectuses carefully as these are updated. Please note that students from EU member states pay the same fees as Home students.

International Undergraduate Scholarship

The University is delighted to offer the International Undergraduate Scholarship. This scholarship consists of a full tuition fee waiver for your fourth year of undergraduate study and is open to all international undergraduate students studying for 4 years or more at the University of Aberdeen (excluding Medicine). All international students (excluding Medicine) will be awarded this scholarship when offered a place to study, with no separate application required.

Fixed Fee Structure

Our fixed fee structure means that new international undergraduate (excluding Medicine) and postgraduate research students commencing study from 2018/19 are charged the same tuition fee each year, for the duration of their programme of study.

Many other universities increase their fees between 5% and 9% every year. The University of Aberdeen is committed to ensuring that international students can project their costs in advance of arriving in Aberdeen. Our fixed fee structure will allow you to plan ahead and save money!

Here are some examples of what the International Undergraduate Scholarship and the Fixed Fee Structure mean for students:

Undergraduate Arts Degree

An international student starting our undergraduate Master of Arts in Business Management in September 2018 would pay their tuition fees as follows:

Year 1 - £14,600
Year 2 - £14,600 (no increase in fees)
Year 3 - £14,600 (no increase in fees)
Year 4 - No fees paid due to International Undergraduate Scholarship

Total cost of tuition for a four year degree is £43,800

Undergraduate Engineering Degree

An international student starting our Bachelor of Engineering in September 2018 would pay their tuition fees as follows:

Year 1 - £18,400
Year 2 - £18,400 (no increase in fees)
Year 3 - £18,400 (no increase in fees)
Year 4 - No fees paid due to International Undergraduate Scholarship.

Total cost of study for a four year degree is £55,200

Postgraduate Research Degree

An international student starting an arts-based Doctor of Philosophy Degree (PhD) in International Relations in September 2018 would pay their tuition fees as follows:

Year 1 - £15,000
Year 2 - £15,000 (no increase in fees)
Year 3 - £15,000 (no increase in fees)

Total cost of tuition for a three year research degree is £45,000

Determining Your Fee Status

When we receive your application for admission, you will provide information that will help us determine your fee status. Should we require further information, we would contact you. If you currently live overseas and you do not hold a UK or EU passport, it is likely that you will be classified as an International Fees student. UKCISA, the UK Council for International Student Affairs, can provide detailed guidance on the following areas: Immigration; Fees and Student Support; Finance and Funding; Welfare, Health and Tax benefits; Council Tax. UKCISA is happy to advise students about the fee regulations and case law that apply to them, and to provide a second opinion following an institution's assessment of a student's fee status.

Find out more about The UKCISA Guidance Note for Scotland 

UKCISA can be contacted as follows:

9-17 St Albans Place,
London, N1 0NX

Tel: +44 (0) 20 7288 4330
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7288 4360

The Student Advice Line is +44 (0) 20 7107 9922 and is open Monday to Friday from 1pm to 4pm

Minimum Cost of Living

In addition to tuition fees, students will require money to cover their living costs including accommodation, food, books, entertainment, clothing, phone bills, local travel, and laundry. These expenses will vary depending on your lifestyle and spending habits. In keeping with UKVI rules, we recommend that students budget £1,015 per month to cover their living costs. For more information on this please visit our visa page.

International students who require a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK also have to pay the NHS health surcharge of £150 per year of study, plus £75 (any additional period of 6 months or less is charged at the rate of half the annual amount) when applying for a visa. For more information, please visit our visa information page.

Money Advice Centre - Making Your Budget Stretch Further

The University has an independent Money Advice Centre, run in conjunction with the Students' Association. The Centre provides free and independent advice to students, including:

  • confidential one-to-one advice
  • advice on constructing a personal budget
  • personalised budget form (on any student PC)
  • guidance on loans, banking, mortgages etc
  • seminars on budgeting and money management

Working in the UK

International students who will be studying for more than 6 months are permitted to work for 20 hours per week during term-time, though this may be increased during the holiday periods. The Students' Association can help you find part-time work as well as offering other employment advice. Please note that this must not be relied upon as a means to fund your studies. Students coming to study for one semester only (less than 6 months) are usually not granted permission to work.

Opening a UK Bank Account

If you are planning to open a UK bank account you may wish to refer to the
International Students Guide to Opening a UK Bank Account created by the British Bankers' Association. The guide will help to answer many of your questions ranging from "How do I choose which bank is best for me?" to "What is the best way to bring money with me into the UK?"