Born 1930 in London, England. Educated Wanstead County High School 1941-1948. Studied Biology at Edinburgh University 1948-54 with an Honours degree in Zoology and a Ph.D in insect embryology. Worked as a Marine Biologist in West Africa (HM Oversea Civil Service) and has served on the academic staff of Zoology and Psychology departments in the universities of Edinburgh, Durham, Liverpool, Waterloo (Ontario), and Aberdeen (from 1968) over a period of 40yrs. Teaching and research has been in animal and human ethology (comparative behaviour), physiology and neurology of behaviour, neuropsychology, and psychopharmacology. Professor 1973 and Head of Psychology Department in Aberdeen 1977-1988 and finally retired in 1995 after 27yrs in Aberdeen.
- On the nature and neurology of emotion and emotional expression
- On the emotional origin and evolution of speech
- History and theory in Psychology
- Further Info
- Salzen, E. A. (1978). Social attachment and a sense of security - a review. Social Science Information, 17, 555-627.
- Salzen, E. A. (1981). Perception of emotion in faces, p.133-169. In G. Davies, H. Ellis and J. Shepherd (Eds.) Perceiving and remembering faces. London: Academic Press.
- Salzen, E. A. (1990). On the neurology of emotion. Unpublished MS. (Unsuccessfully submitted to Behavioural & Brain Sciences)
Salzen, E. A. (1991). On the nature of emotion. International Journal of Comparative Psychology, 5, 47-88.
- Salzen, E. A. (1996). Introduction to the Routledge edition of On Aggression, by Konrad Lorenz. Translated by M. Latzke, p.ix-xxiii. London: Routledge.
- Salzen, E. A. (1998). Imprinting. p.566-575. In "Comparative Psychology: A Handbook" Eds. G. Greenberg & M. M. Haraway. New York: Garland Publishing.
- Salzen, E. A. (1998). Emotion and Self-awareness. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 57, 299-313. Special Edition on "Animal awareness -concepts and implications for domestic animals".
- Salzen, E. A. (2001). A century of emotion theories - proliferation without progress? History and Philosophy of Psychology, 3, 56-75.
- (pdf) Salzen, E. A. (2006). From calls to words: how ethology can bridge the divide. www.marges-linguistiques.com, 11, (07) 18pp.
- Salzen, E. A. (2010). Whatever happened to Ethology? The case for the Fixed Action Pattern in Psychology. History & Philosophy of Psychology, 12, (2) 63-78.