The winners of a competition challenging school pupils to draw a germ or microbe attended an awards ceremony last Thursday (January 30).
Devised by the University of Aberdeen’s Institute of Medical Sciences, Immunity, Infection and Inflammation department, the contest aimed to raise awareness of the bodies’ response to infection.
6 winning art works were selected from over 600 entries from primary and secondary school pupils across Aberdeen city and shire, and will be used to design a new logo for the department.
All the winners will be awarded a cash prize and certificate.
In addition, the first prize winner in the primary school category has won a school visit from a University scientist who will give an insight into how science and medicine shape our lives.
The first prize winner in the secondary school category has secured the opportunity of a week’s work experience in the Institute of Medical Sciences.
The winners of the competition are:
Secondary 4 and 5
- 1st prize: Natalie Campbell, Bucksburn Academy
- 2nd prize: Gemma Stables, Mintlaw Academy
- 3rd prize: Andrea Evans, Meldrum Academy
Primary 5 and 7
- 1st prize: Fraser Davidson, Kintore School
- 2nd prize: Abbi Bennett, Kintore School
- 3rd prize: Georgina Stewart, Mile End School
Dr Isabel Crane from the University of Aberdeen’s Institute of Medical Sciences said: “We were delighted to not only receive such a high number of entries in the competition but also with the calibre of submissions that showed imagination and understanding of germs and microbes.
“The winning entries will be on show at the prize-giving ceremony today, and attendees will also take a short tour of the Institute of Medical Sciences building to learn more about the research being conducted here.”
Browse by Month
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2018
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2018
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2018
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2018
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2018
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2018
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2018