- Springer Book(Sept 2003): The Functional Approach to Data Management
- 75 selected papers on the Databases and Logic Programming (DBLP) Bibliography Server
Peter Gray is well known in the International Database Research community. After a physics PhD at Oxford, and working on Production Control Systems with Plessey, he has been at Aberdeen University since 1968 and was awarded a personal chair in 1989. He started there with a pioneering group (1968-72) on both Equational and Logic Programming and then applied this to the integration of heterogeneous data models, developing the P/FDM testbed using Prolog. He has contributed articles to Springer’s on-line Encyclopedia of Database Systems (2010). From 1996-2000 he headed the EPSRC-funded KRAFT consortium which built an evolving network for knowledge fusion using CLP and mediators.
- Querying Databases with Data Models e.g. RDF
- AI and Knowledge Bases
- Constraint Logic using Prolog/ECLiPSe
- Automatic Program Generation
Joint research with Dr. Trevor Runcie and Prof. Derek Sleeman on applications of Constraint Solvers to engineering design. New Journal Paper (2015): (http://journals.cambridge.org/AIE )
Peter M.D. Gray, Trevor Runcie and Derek Sleeman (2015). Reuse of constraint knowledge bases and problem solvers explored in engineering design. Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing, 29, pp 1-18 doi:10.1017/S0890060414000134
Accepted Manuscript: AIEDAMfinalmss-figs-11-PGDSTR-29Dec13-e.pdf
- Further Info
For many years I have been Secretary of Branch Committee of the local Aberdeen branch of the British Computer Society (http://aberdeen.bcs.org/events.php).
I am a (Lay) Reader in the Church of Scotland (licensed in 1979). This means I am licensed to preach and conduct services, but not to conduct sacraments. I have preached in Kings College Chapel.
I am a member (since about 2000) of the Aberdeenshire Theological Club, which meets monthly in the Chaplaincy Centre to hear and discuss papers presented by members.
I have written a commentary (for non-specialists or searchers) on the Apostles Creed - a foundation declaration of faith going back to Roman times. Follow this Link and click on a line of the creed to see an interpretation.
Supervision of Theses at Aberdeen 1976 to 2008
- 2008: Reuse of Knowledge Bases and Problem Solvers Explored in the VT Domain (PhD) - Trevor Runcie
- 2004: Agents and Constraint Logic (PhD) - Stuart Chalmers
- 2001: Knowledge Fusion and Constraint Solving in a Distributed Environment (PhD) - Kit Hui
- 1998: Events and Dynamic Modelling of Objects Using Smalltalk (MSc) - Malgorzata Danicka
- 1997: A Multidatabase Approach to Factory MIS (MSc) - Anne Louden
- 1996: A Constraint Based Assignment System for Protein 2D Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (PhD) - Scott Leishman
- 1996: Using Interactive 3D Graphics for Database Visualisation (PhD) - John Boyle
- 1995: Using Object-Oriented Databases to model Hydrocarbon Reservoirs (PhD) - John Owens
- 1994: Constraint-Based Updates in a Functional Data Model Database (PhD) - Suzanne Embury
- 1994: Analysing Loop Selection Criteria in Homology Modelling of Proteins Using an Object Oriented Database (PhD) - Martin Jones
- 1993: Animating DP Specifications. Using Prolog and an Expert System Tool (MSc) - Derek Watson
- 1992: Optimisation Studies in a Prolog Object-Oriented Database (PhD) - Zhuoan Jiao
- 1992: Making Object-Oriented Databases More Knowledgeable (PhD) - Oscar Diaz
- 1991: Protein Modelling using an Object-Oriented Database (PhD) - Graham Kemp
- 1989: A Prolog Implementation of an Object-Oriented Database System (PhD) - Norman Paton
- 1988: Persistence and Modularity in Prolog (PhD) - David Moffat
- 1982: Performance Aspects of a Relational Interface to CODASYL Databases (MSc) - Peter Esslemont
- 1980: Automatic Generation of Programs For Retrieving Information From CODASYL Databases (PhD) - Robert Bell