Redevelopment of Ground Floor, The Sir Duncan Rice Library
We are delighted to announce that the redesign of a large area of The Sir Duncan Rice Library Ground Floor has been completed. The space at the rear of the Ground Floor has been transformed to provide a space to enhance the visitor experience and encourage reading and relaxation.
- A range of new furniture, much of it with built in charging points
- A lending collection provided by Aberdeen City Libraries
- Regular exhibitions drawing on the University’s Library and Museum collections. Our new exhibition, Sewing Resistance was launched earlier this week!
The public library service will be called the Old Aberdeen Library, restoring a City Council lending library to the area for the first time since the 1990s. This has been an innovative and exciting collaboration with Aberdeen City Council, and we will continue to work in partnership to manage and develop the service.
The Old Aberdeen Library opened on Monday 14 October. If you already are a member of Aberdeen City Libraries you will be able to borrow books from the Ground Floor. Aberdeen City Library staff will be on-site on the following dates to help sign up staff and students who are not already members and help with any questions on this new service:
- Monday 14 October – 10:00 – 16:00
- Wednesday 16 October – 14:00 – 16:00
- Tuesday 22 October – 14:30 – 16:30
- Tuesday 29 October – 14:30 – 16:30
- Tuesday 5 November – 14:30 – 16:30
- Tuesday 12 November – 14:30 – 16:30