Chair in Law
Margaret Ross graduated LLB Hons from Aberdeen in 1979 and qualified as a solicitor in 1981. She has been on the staff of the university as a tutor since 1980 and was appointed to her present post in 1992. She was Deputy Head of the Law School from 2000 to 2003, Head of Law from 2008 to 2011 and has been a member of both the University Senate and the University Court. From 2011 to 2017 she was a University Vice Principal and Head of the College of Arts and Social Sciences, and from 2015 to 2018 she became Vice Principal for People Strategy which included responsibility for Equality and Diversity.
She links her research interests in evidence, procedures and mediation with family law and mental health contexts. She is the author of the revised edition of the leading text on the law of evidence in Scotland. Her publications include journal articles and book chapters about evidence, alternative dispute resolution, and the procedures of courts and professional bodies.
She has held positions as Vice Chair of the Mental Welfare Commission for Scotland, an independent reporter for the court in adoption applications and chair of Grampian Research Ethics Committee. She has held board positions in charities offering support and advice in times of dispute and is a school governor.
Evidence, Procedures, Dispute Resolution processes.
The role of dispute resolution within civil justice processes in Scotland.
- Further Info
PhD Supervision Interests
Professor Ross is interested in supervising research students working in the following areas: alternative dispute resolution, civil procedure, evidence and mental health law.
Page 1 of 2 Results 1 to 10 of 11
- Ross, ML 2018, Dispute Management and Resolution. in G Gordon, J Paterson & EU (eds), UK Oil and Gas Law: Current Practice and Emerging Trends: Commercial and Contract Law Issues. 3 edn, vol. 2, Edinburgh University Press, Edinburgh, pp. 490-528.
- Ross, ML & Chalmers, JP 2015, Walker and Walker: The Law of Evidence in Scotland. 4 edn, Bloomsbury , London.
- Ross, ML 2011, Dispute Management and Resolution. in G Gordon, J Paterson & E Usenmez (eds), Oil and Gas Law: Emerging Trends . 2 edn, Dundee University Press, Dundee, pp. 573-610.
- Ross, M & Bain, D 2010, In-court mediation pilot projects: report on evaluation of In Court mediation schemes in Glasgow and Aberdeen Sheriff Courts. Scottish Government, Edinburgh, United Kingdom.
- Ross, ML & Hammond, M 2010, The Student Guide to Mooting. Dundee University Press, Dundee.
- Ross, ML 2007, Dispute Management and Resolution. in G Gordon & J Paterson (eds), Oil and Gas Law: Current Practice and Emerging Trends. Dundee University Press, pp. 431-460.
- Ross, ML 2006, Mediation in Scotland: an Elusive Opportunity? in In: Global Trends in Mediation (2nd Edition); Alexander,N (Ed), Kluwer Law International. In: Global Trends in Mediation (2nd Edition); Alexander,N (Ed), Kluwer Law International, pp. 305-331.
- Ross, ML 2003, Global Trends in Mediation. in In: Mediation in Scotland: an Eluded Opportunity (ed. Alexander,N.), Centrale fur Mediation (Otto Schmidt Verlag), Koln. In: Mediation in Scotland: an Eluded Opportunity (ed. Alexander,N.), Centrale fur Mediation (Otto Schmidt Verlag), Koln.
- Ross, ML 2003, 'The Adults with Incapacity (Scotland) Act 2000: A Long and Winding Road', Edinburgh Law Review, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 226-233.
- Ross, ML 2003, The Legal Framework of Caring. in In: Reconceptualising Work with "Carers": New Directions for Policy and Practice; Stalker K (Ed); Jessica Kingsley Publishers, London. In: Reconceptualising Work with "Carers": New Directions for Policy and Practice; Stalker K (Ed); Jessica Kingsley Publishers, London, pp. 177-194.