Mailing lists are a feature of email that allow a user to post a message to a group of users by means of sending to a single email address. The single email address (or list address) is expanded to a group of email addresses associated with that list.
Lists are for University business purposes only.
The following mailing list services are available:
- Automated Lists
- Self-Managed Lists
- All Staff List
- JISCMAIL (the National Academic Mailing List Service)
- Course Lists
- Specified Lists (using SRS data)
- Ad-hoc Lists
- Self-Managed Lists
- All Students Lists
Microsoft Exchange Online (part of Office 365 suite) provides email distribution groups that are listed in Outlook Address Book (GAL). Membership is governed and updated nightly by the HR database. They provide School or Departmental staff lists aligned to Human Resources.
Lists include the ability to add individuals not already in the automated group.
Enquiries as to whether a School or Department email distribution group can be created in Exchange Online, and so visible in Outlook Address Book (GAL), should be directed to the IT Service Desk - myit.abdn.ac.uk.
Mailman allows you to manage self-service mailing lists in support of valid University activities, e.g. for a research project, social or interest group, project or work groups (i.e. transient lists), student society – via a web interface.
Mailman lists can contain:
- External Members (using email addresses)
- Combinations of the above
Guidance on list administration is available at www.abdn.ac.uk/staffnet/working-here/it-communications, under the Mailing Lists tab.
List - Staff mailing list is provided for the circulation of information to all University staff. This list is moderated by the Communications Office. To send a message to this list, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The National Academic Mailing List Service offers the facility for creating and maintaining wider discussion lists, open to academics and researchers on a national level.
See www.jiscmail.ac.uk for further details.
Auto-generated student course lists, based on Student Records System (SRS) data, are available via the appropriate VLE (Virtual Learning Environment):
- MyAberdeen (https://www.abdn.ac.uk/myaberdeen)
- MyMBChB (https://www.abdn.ac.uk/mymbchb)
- MyBDS (https://www.abdn.ac.uk/mybds)
- MyPA (https://www.abdn.ac.uk/mypa)
- MyMedSci (https://www.abdn.ac.uk/mymedsci)
Lists are updated nightly.
Lists can be created in and are based on parameters within the Student Record System (SRS). Parameters are as follows:
- Individual Programme
- Student type (UG and/or PGR and/or PGT)
- Programme Year
- Session (First Half Session, Second Half Session, Both Half Sessions)
- Personal Tutor/Supervisor
- All students on programme X who have XX as a personal tutor
- All Year 1 PGRs in School of Social Sciences
Members of staff may also request from Registry one-off emails are sent to a specific cohort, based on Student Record System parameters (e.g. all students in a School who have a home address in a specific country). Registry require 10 days’ notice for such requests. Contact email@example.com
Mailman allows students to manage self-service mailing lists in support of valid University student societies via a web interface.
Mailman lists are available to student societies with the proviso that AUSA endorses the society and agree to be list administrator (normally the Societies Vice-President). Contact AUSA (http://www.ausa.org.uk/) in the first instance.
Guidance on list administration is available at www.abdn.ac.uk/staffnet/working-here/it-communications, under Mailing Lists tab.
Mailing lists are provided for the circulation of information to all students or student types (i.e. undergraduate, all taught postgraduates, or all research postgraduates). Lists are moderated by the Communications Office. To send a message contact firstname.lastname@example.org
smallads - a mailing list for the circulation of small advertisements and other non-University business information within the University of Aberdeen. The list is open to University staff and research postgraduates. To subscribe/unsubscribe, visit https://mlisthost.abdn.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/smallads/
- Automatic nightly update of list memberships according to HR data
- (Note: you cannot add/remove members which are managed automatically using HR data)
- Internal members only
- Based on Admin Units, Schools, or Disciplines
- Can include all staff, or filter by Core, Honorary, or Temporary
- Can add and remove extra members
- Moderation of posts
- Restrict posts
- User and Admin interface through OWA
- Visible in Outlook Global Address List
- Approval of addition and removal of members
- Internal and external members
- Moderation of posts
- Restrict posts
- User and admin interfaces through Mailman GUI
- Delegation of list management
- Automatic membership management from Student Records
- MyMBChB, MyBDS, MyPA and MyMedSci specific:
- Message Scheduling for future dates and times
- Personalise messages using ‘smart fields’
- Message Priority Settings and Read Receipts
- Delivery reports
- Students (Societies only)
- Honorary staff
- 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
- Mailing lists managed by Mailman are backed up nightly.
- Mailing lists managed by Mailman are not visible in the Global Address List (GAL) in Outlook or OWA.
- Default message size limit:
- Mailman – 2MB, or as set by list Administrator.
- Exchange Lists – 25MB, or 2MB if >= 5000 recipients (after expansion).
- Permission to post to restricted mailing lists must be sought from the list administrator.
- Emails sent to VLE Mailing Lists must be composed in the VLE, there is no email address to send messages to.
- Links to mailing list user guides are available online at
- A user guide for sending announcements and email to student course lists via MyAberdeen is available on the eLearning website
- Service Desk contact details are available online at www.abdn.ac.uk/staffnet/working-here/it-support
- For JISCMAIL lists, further information at www.jiscmail.ac.uk/
- Automated Lists: Contact the IT Service Desk - myit.abdn.ac.uk
- Self-Managed Lists (Staff and Students): Mailing list request form at www.abdn.ac.uk/staffnet/forms/mailing-list-request/
- Students Ad Hoc Lists: Contact email@example.com
- Students - Specified Lists: See Student Records System (Authorised access only)
- All Staff/All Students: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Users of mailing lists must adhere to the Conditions for Using IT Facilities at www.abdn.ac.uk/staffnet/documents/policy-zone-information-policies/DIT_cond-IT.pdf
- Users of smallads mailing list must adhere to the Guidelines for acceptable use
- Mailing Lists are provided free of charge.