David is a geologist and petroleum geochemist, with further interests in mineralogy, astrobiology and planetary science. He has previously held positions within Halliburton as a logging geologist and subsequently a geochemist, with a strong focus on global research & development within the company.
During his time at Halliburton, David was responsible for overseeing and developing new technologies and interpretation standards for real-time geochemical analyses for gas-in-mud data. R&D efforts were focused on both conventional and unconventional reservoirs (fractured basement, interbasaltics, HPHT) in the UK North Sea, Gulf of Mexico, Central Europe and the Middle East.
David obtained his BSc in Earth Science from the University of Glasgow and then his PhD from the University of Aberdeen.
Intrusion and petroleum system interactions
Raman spectroscopy of carbon
Geology of Scotland
- The effects of igneous intrusions on petroleum systems with respect to thermal maturity and extractable organic matter potential.
- Thermal alteration of sedimentary rocks in fold and thrust belts.
- Application of Raman Spectroscopy to sedimentary organic matter to assess thermal maturity.
- Correlation between organic geochemical and inorganic geochemical analyses.
Dr Mathew D. Rowe, Halliburton Surface Data Logging, Louisiana.
Director of PGT Programmes, School of Geosciences
GL1005 Earth Through Geological Time
GL1505 Earth's Materials
GL2015 Petrology and Mineralogy
GL2510 Introduction to Field Geology
GL3026 Field and Mapping Techniques
GL4028 Petroleum Geology: Geochemistry and Geofluids
- Further Info
Education Committee, Geological Society of London. (2013 - 2016)
Director of PGT Programmes, School of Geosciences
College of Physical Sciences College Council (2013 - 2016)
College of Physical Sciences Teaching and Learning Committee (2013 - 2016)
CONFIDENTIAL: Patents Disclosed and/or Filed (International, US) relating to:
Mud gas extraction.
Technique design and application.
Muirhead, D.K., Bowden, S., Parnell, J. Raman Spectroscopy Applied to Pyrolysis Residues: Terrestrial and Extra-Terrestrial Case Studies (Intrusions and meteorites) (poster). 7th Research Symposium, Department of Geology and Petroleum Geology, University of Aberdeen, February 2009.
Muirhead, D.K., Parnell, J., Sephton, M.A. Raman Spectroscopy Applied to Meteorite Pyrolysates: A Study of The Murchsion Carbonaceous Chondrite (poster). 39th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, Houston, Texas, March 2008.
M. R. M. Izawa, A. J. Wright, P. J. A. McCausland, R. L. Flemming, D. K. Muirhead,and J. Parnell. Combined in situ Micro X-Ray Diffraction and Raman Study of Carbonaceous Matter in Ureilites and Terrestrial Materials (poster). 39th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, Houston, Texas, March 2008.
Page 1 of 2 Results 1 to 10 of 15
Contributions to Journals
- Mark, NJ., Schofield, N., Pugliese, S., Watson, D., Holford, S., Muirhead, D., Brown, R. & Healy, D. (in press). 'Igneous Intrusions in the Faroe Shetland Basin and their Implications for Hydrocarbon Exploration: New Insights from Well and Seismic Data Marine and Petroleum Geology'. Marine and Petroleum Geology.
- Muirhead, DK., Bowden, SA., Parnell, J. & Schofield, N. (2017). 'Source rock maturation owing to igneous intrusion in rifted margin petroleum systems'. Journal of the Geological Society , vol 174, no. 6, pp. 979-987.
[Online] DOI: 10.1144/jgs2017-011
- Parnell, J., Baba, M., Bowden, S. & Muirhead, D. (2017). 'Subsurface biodegradation of crude oil in a fractured basement reservoir, Shropshire, UK'. Journal of the Geological Society , vol 174, no. 4, pp. 655-666.
[Online] DOI: 10.1144/jgs2016-129
[Online] AURA: Subsurface_biodegradation_of_crude_oil_in_a_fractured_baseme...
- Schofield, N., Jolley, D., Holford, S., Archer, S., Watson, D., Hartley, A., Howell, J., Muirhead, D., Underhill, J. & Green, P. 'Challenges of future exploration within the UK Rockall Basin'. Petroleum Geology Conference Proceedings, vol 8.
[Online] DOI: 10.1144/PGC8.37
- Schofield, N., Holford, S., Millett, J., Brown, D., Jolley, D., Passey, SR., Muirhead, D., Grove, C., Magee, C., Murray, J., Hole, M., Jackson, CAL. & Stevenson, C. (2017). 'Regional Magma Plumbing and emplacement mechanisms of the Faroe-Shetland Sill Complex: Implications for magma transport and petroleum systems within sedimentary basins'. Basin Research, vol 29, no. 1, pp. 41-63.
[Online] DOI: 10.1111/bre.12164
[Online] AURA: Schofield_et_al_FSSC_accepted_2015.pdf
- Alabi, OO., Edilbi, ANF., Brolly, C., Muirhead, D., Parnell, J., Stacey, R. & Bowden, SA. (2015). 'Asphaltene detection using Surface Enhanced Raman Scattering (SERS)'. Chemical Communications, vol 51, no. 33, pp. 7152-7155.
[Online] DOI: 10.1039/C5CC00676G
[Online] AURA: C5CC00676G.pdf
- Muirhead, DK., Parnell, J., Taylor, C. & Bowden, SA. (2012). 'A kinetic model for the thermal evolution of sedimentary and meteoritic organic carbon using Raman spectroscopy'. Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis , vol 96, pp. 153-161.
[Online] DOI: 10.1016/j.jaap.2012.03.017
[Online] AURA: 1_s2.0_S0165237012000800_main.pdf
- Parnell, J., Bowden, SA., Muirhead, D., Blamey, N., Westall, F., Brack, A., Demets, R., Verchovsky, S. & Brandstätter, F. (2011). 'Preservation of organic matter in the STONE 6 artificial meteorite experiment'. Icarus, vol 212, no. 1, pp. 390-402.
[Online] DOI: 10.1016/j.icarus.2010.11.029
- Parnell, J., Boyce, A., Thackrey, SN., Muirhead, DK., Lindgren, P., Mason, C., Taylor, CW., Still, JW., Bowden, S., Osinski, GR. & Lee, P. (2010). 'Sulfur isotope signatures for rapid colonization of an impact crater by thermophilic microbes'. Geology, vol 38, no. 3, pp. 271-274.
[Online] DOI: 10.1130/G30615.1
Chapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings
- Muirhead, DK., Parnell, J., Spinks, S. & Bowden, SA. (2017). Characterization of organic matter in the Torridonian using Raman spectroscopy. in AT Brasier, D McIlroy & N McLoughlin (eds), Earth System Evolution and Early Life: a Celebration of the Work of Martin Brasier. vol. 448, Geological Society of London Special Publications, Geological Society of London, pp. 71-80.
[Online] DOI: 10.1144/SP448.2
[Online] AURA: MuirheadTorridonManuscript.docx
[Online] AURA: MuirheadTorridonFigure1.pdf
[Online] AURA: MuirheadTorridonFigure2.pdf
[Online] AURA: MuirheadTorridonFigure3.pdf
[Online] AURA: MuirheadTorridonFigure4.pdf
[Online] AURA: MuirheadTorridonFigure5.pdf
[Online] AURA: MuirheadTorridonFigure6.pdf
[Online] AURA: MuirheadTorridonTable1.xls