Whatever stage you are at with your career planning there are a range of ways that you can interact with our professional team. Use the links below to find out more.
All registered University of Aberdeen students and graduates are welcome to make appointments or submit online queries. If you are a thinking of applying to study at the University of Aberdeen or are a student or graduate of another university, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include a contact number.
- Quick Queries (10 minutes)
These appointments can be used for getting started with a wide range of topics, including:
• Preparation for interviews and assessment centres
• Work experience
• Further study and funding
• Job-seeking strategies
• How to write CVs/ covering letters/ online profiles (NOT feedback)
Quick Query appointments last a maximum of 10 minutes. This rule is strictly adhered to. If your query can not be answered in 10 minutes, please make a 30 minute appointment.
Appointments are conducted by phone (if you don't have a UK phone number the appointment will be online). They are released for booking 24 hours in advance which means you can book an appointment for the current or next day.
Quick Query appointments are booked online using CareerConnect. If you have not used CareerConnect before you may find it helpful to watch the video at the end of this page.
- CV/ Application feedback appointments (20 minutes - online)
These appointments are for receiving feedback on CVs, covering letters, application forms, LinkedIn profiles and personal statements. They are conducted online. This will involve a live conversation with an Adviser using webcam and microphone. Full access instructions will be provided.
Appointments are booked online on CareerConnect. If you have not used CareerConnect before you may find it helpful to watch the video at the end of this page.
If there are no appointments available please make an appointment with the Adviser for your subject or use our Virtual Adviser Service. Information about these options is available in the boxes below.
- Submit a query online to our Virtual Adviser, including CV/ Application checks
This confidential email enquiry service is only available to students and graduates of the University of Aberdeen, who are not currently studying at another university. We aim to respond to your enquiry within 3 working days. Please keep in mind that Advisers have only 15 minutes to deal with each query.
Please submit only one query at a time. Take time to work through our feedback. This should help you in shaping your future applications and career ideas.
You can use this service for advice and information on:
- career options and career planning
- searching for vacancies
- further study and funding
- making applications, including feedback on CVs, covering letters, application forms and personal statements
Please submit only one document for feedback at a time, ie a CV, or a covering letter, or no more than three answers from an application form. A job description or other supporting document can be helpful to include.
We will be happy to provide you with feedback on the content, layout and impact of your applications. We will not correct spelling and grammatical errors for you. Ask friends and family to help with this if you are struggling.
How to submit a Virtual Adviser query
- Login to CareerConnect
- Click on the circle labelled "Virtual Adviser Queries"
- Click on "Submit a new Virtual Adviser Query"
- Appointments with a Careers Adviser for your degree subject (30 minutes)
These appointments can be used for a range of activities:
- discussing your career options
- exploring specific career ideas
- identifying courses of action to realise your goals
- discussing how to prepare for interviews or assessment centres
Appointments can be conducted by telephone or online.
Please note that you are not able to book one of these appointments for the current day.
How to book an appointment
- University of Aberdeen students, graduates and staff can book appointments online using CareerConnect. If you experience any problems booking online please send an email to email@example.com . Please include a contact number in your message and a member of the team will call you to arrange an appointment. If you have not used CareerConnect before you may find it helpful to watch the video at the end of this page.
- Practice interview (1 hour)
If you have an interview scheduled we are able to offer you a one hour practice interview (subject to availability). To book an appointment please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please include a contact number in your message and a member of the team will call you to arrange an appointment. If you do not have an interview scheduled please have a look at our resources for interview-preparation.
Appointments can be conducted by telephone or online.
Please note that you will not be able to book one of these appointments for the current day.
- Qatar-based students
If you are studying at AFG College in Qatar you can book an appointment with the Career and Internships Manager to discuss any of the following topics:
- Feedback on your CV and cover letters
- Career options and career planning
- Searching for vacancies
- Practice interviews
Appointments are booked online using CareerConnect. From the dashboard screen, go to the Book menu heading and click on Appointments.
Alternatively, you can submit a query using our Virtual Adviser Service. You can access the Virtual Adviser Service by logging into CareerConnect and clicking on the blue circle labelled "Virtual Adviser Queries".
If you have not used CareerConnect before you may find it helpful to watch the video at the end of this page.
If you experience any difficulty or would like any further advice, email email@example.com . Please include a contact number in your message for further communication.
How to use CareerConnect to book appointments and submit queries