Whatever stage you are at with your career planning, from first year to final year and beyond, there are many ways in which you can interact with our professional team.
All registered University of Aberdeen students and graduates, regardless of year of study or degree subject, are welcome to make appointments or submit online queries. Use the links below to find out more. You can also use our appointment finder tool to help you identify the most suitable appointment for you.
- CV/application feedback appointments (online or in person)
These 15-minute appointments are for feedback on CVs, covering letters, application forms and LinkedIn profiles.
Appointments are either conducted:
- online: this will involve a live conversation using webcam and microphone. (Full access instructions will be provided.)
- in person: appointments will take place on the second floor of the Students' Union Building.
Appointments are booked online on CareerConnect. If you have not used CareerConnect before, you may find it helpful to watch the video at the end of this page.
You can book no more than two of these appointments per week. If there are no spaces available, please use our Virtual Adviser Service - or book an appointment with the Careers Adviser for your subject, particularly if you would like us to review more than one document. Information about these options is available in the boxes below.
- Submit a query online to our Virtual Adviser, including CV/ Application feedback
This confidential email enquiry service is only available to students and graduates of the University of Aberdeen, who are not currently studying at another university. We aim to respond to your enquiry within 3 working days. Please keep in mind that Advisers have only 15 minutes to deal with each query.
Please submit only one query at a time. Take time to work through our feedback. This should help you in shaping your future applications and career ideas.
You can use this service for advice and information on:
- career options and career planning
- searching for vacancies
- further study and funding
- making applications, including feedback on CVs, covering letters, application forms and personal statements
We will be happy to provide you with feedback on the content, layout and impact of your applications. We will not correct spelling and grammatical errors for you. Ask friends and family to help with this if you are struggling.
- Appointments with a Careers Adviser for your degree subject
These appointments can be used for a range of activities:
- discussing your career options
- exploring specific career ideas
- identifying courses of action to realise your goals
- receiving feedback on your applications and personal statements, and discussing how to prepare for interviews or assessment centres.
Appointments last up to 30 minutes and are either conducted:
- online: this will involve a live conversation using webcam and microphone. (Full access instructions will be provided.
- by telephone: please supply your phone number when booking and the Adviser will call you.
- in person*: appointments will take place in a confidential space on the second floor of the Students' Union Building.
*Please check the location of the appointment in CareerConnect before choosing this option as Advisers may work from home on some days.
During vacation periods your preferred Adviser may not be available. You are welcome to make an appointment with an alternative Adviser who will be happy to help.
How to book an appointment
- University of Aberdeen students, graduates and staff can book appointments online using CareerConnect. If you experience any problems booking online please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include a contact number.
- If you are thinking of applying to study at the University of Aberdeen and have some career related questions, please send an email to email@example.com and include a contact number.
- If you are currently registered as a student at another university, you can find contact details for other Careers Services on the AGCAS (Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services) website.
- Practice interview (up to 1 hour)
If you have an interview scheduled, we are able to offer you an appointment to have a practice interview (subject to availability).
You can book a practice interview with an Adviser by completing our short online request form. An Adviser will be in touch with you to offer you an appointment as soon as possible. This may take up to three days.
Appointments can be conducted online, by phone or in person.
If you have not been given enough time to arrange a practice interview, then you are welcome to contact us and discuss alternatives.
If you do not have an interview scheduled, please have a look at our resources for interview preparation.
- Qatar-based students
If you are studying at AFG College in Qatar you can book an appointment with the Career and Internships Manager to discuss any of the following topics:
- Feedback on your CV and cover letters
- Career options and career planning
- Searching for vacancies
- Practice interviews
Appointments are booked online using CareerConnect. Alternatively, you can submit a query using our Virtual Adviser Service. If you have not used CareerConnect before you may find it helpful to watch the video at the end of this page.
If you experience any difficulty or would like any further advice, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a contact number in your message for further communication.
How to use CareerConnect to book appointments and submit queries