Are you a computer whizz who enjoys digital information? Do you try to understand how computer systems work? Have you tried different computer languages to invent your own interface? Do you want to get into Big Data, the Internet of Things and smart technologies?
Aberdeen is ranked 2nd in Scotland and 5th in the UK for Computing Science – The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021.
We offer a range of Computing degrees which you can read more about below.View available degree programmes
The University of Aberdeen International Study Centre offers preparation programmes for progression to undergraduate degree study at the university.Discover the International Study Centre
Helping doctors to treat a newborn baby, analysing the huge volume of data from the human genome, tracking jet engines in flight and ensuring that maintenance is planned accordingly, and making online shopping easier and more secure - these are just some of the challenges that computer scientists rise to every day by using their technical analysis, design and programming skills that they learn at University to create better and more intelligent tools.
The highly relevant curriculum, along with strong industry links, ensures that Computing programme graduates have an advantage in a competitive market place. The British Computer Society (BCS) recognises our Single Honours degrees for professional membership without additional examinations. The employment record of our graduates is excellent with the vast majority entering occupations of their choice within three months of graduation in sectors as diverse as banking, pharmaceuticals and computer game development.
Online Pre-sessional Summer School in Computing
The department provides additional support for new students. The aim is to familiarise students with the learning environment and materials. There are three main parts: Programming, Mathematics, and professional issues. Students learn with the materials online in their own time. Our staff will support and provide help via email and video-conferencing.
Available Programmes of Study
Single Honours Degrees
Joint Honours Degrees
You may also be interested in...
Joint Honours Degrees
Why Study Computing at Aberdeen?
- Flexible degrees available, including; Single/Joint Honours BSc, MA or MSci degrees.
- Extra-curricular activities - Studying Computing is not just about programming. We run a variety of social and professional events regularly including; ACM programming Contest, Code The City and Global Service Jam.
- Aberdeen Software Factory - students get paid to work on client projects as a means to develop their software development skills.
- We run a hugely successful Computing Student Society, where students socialise and enhance their communication skills, and knowledge of hardware and software.
- Students are given the opportunity to develop their transferable skills and abilities as independent learners.
- Prizes for academic excellence are awarded in each year of study. These are sponsored by Oâ€™Reilly, the British Computer Society, CGI, EDS and Amazon. Projects are often successfully entered for national competition.
- Industrial Placements â€“ about 50% of our students took part in placements, receiving very good feedback from the employers.
- We are a very close knit department of students and staff and you will be given the freedom to develop your skills and learning whilst being supported along the way.
- Our research expertise in Data Science and Data Analysis is at its strongest when we work in close partnership with other disciplines, such as Physics, Maths, Geography, Health and Biology.
- The Department of Computing Science is a thriving centre of teaching and research, particularly in areas related to Artificial Intelligence and Knowledge-Based Information Management.
Get in Touch
Student Recruitment & Admissions
University of Aberdeen