Chair in Molecular Ecology and Evolution
Research within the Piertney-Lab focuses on the interplay between evolutionary and ecological dynamics in natural populations. From an eco-to-evo perspective, I examine how different ecological, environmental and behavioural processes drive microevolution, adaptation and speciation. Then from an evo-to-eco perspective, I link how genetic diversity affects individual fitness, population dynamics, ecosystem function and population persistence.
Studies have either a gene-centric focus, examining candidate genes of known ecological importance and adaptive significance (e.g. MHC, MC1R, IFN), or exploit next-generation 'omics technologies to gain a more holistic understanding of adaptation and genome-wide responses to environmental and ecological change.
Ongoing projects include:
- Piezophilic adaptation in deep-ocean amphipods (NERC Discovery mode project).
- The genomic landscape of speciation and adaptive variation in the intertidal isopod Jaera albifrons (NERC Discovery mode project).
- Emergence, spread and persistence of maine invasive non-native species (with Marine Scotland Science, and South Atlantic Environment Research Institute).
- Genome-wide responses to demographic perturbation in insular populations of water voles (BBSRC EastBio DTP).
- PolyExESS - Extreme environment simulation system for experimental evolution (NERC Capital Equipment funding).
- The ecology, evolution and epidemiology of zoonotic pathogens in fragmented multi-host populations (BBSRC EastBio DTP).
- The epigenomic landscape of maternal effects in the soil mite Sancassania berlesei (NERC).
Animal Evolution and Biodiversity (3rd Year course)
Molecular Ecological Techniques (Masters course)
Biodiversity Field Course (2nd year course)
Introduction to Biological Sciences (1st year course)
Ecology & Environmental Sciences (1st year course)
Mankind in the Universe (1st year liberal arts course)
Genes & Evolution (2nd Year course)
Advanced Behavioural Ecology (Final year course)
- Further Info
Panel Chair (Ecology and Evolution) - NERC Peer review College.
Steering Committee Chair - NERC Biomolecular Analysis Facility.
Board of Trustees - South Atlantic Enviornment Research Institute (SAERI).