- Email Address
- Telephone Number
- +44 (0)1224 437492
- Office Address
Lab 1.33 01224 437417
Office 5.16 01224 437492
School of Medicine, Medical Sciences and Nutrition,
Institute of Medical Sciences
University of Aberdeen
- School of Medicine, Medical Sciences and Nutrition
University of Aberdeen, Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology and Department of Medince and Therapeutics. Aberdeen, UK. PhD in Haemostasis & Vascular Biology (1997-2000). Supervisor Dr Nuala A Booth. Funded by ACTR.
University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, UK. BSc (Hons) (1993-1997) in Molecular and Cellular Biology.
2016: Senior Lecturer, University of Aberdeen, School of Medicine, Medical Sciences and Nutrition. Insitute of Medical Sciences, (IMS).
2011-2016: British Heart Foundation Fellow, Senior Research Fellow, School of Medicine and Dentistry, IMS.
2010-2011: Research Fellow funded by British Heart Foundation, School of Medicine and Dentistry, IMS.
2007-2010: Tenure-track Independent Research Fellow in Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of BIological Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK.
2004-2006: Postdoctoral research associate, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Medicine, Champaign, Illinois, USA.
2001-2003: Postdoctoral research fellow, Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of Aberdeen, UK.
- BSc hons Molecular Biology1997 - University of Aberdeen
- PhD Thrombosis & Vascular Biology2001 - University of Aberdeen
The Fibrinolysis RenaissanceJournal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 21, no. 12, pp. 3304-3316Contributions to Journals: Articles
Fibrinolytic pathophysiologies: still the poor cousin of hemostasis?Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 2645-2647Contributions to Journals: Editorials
Fibrinogenolysis and fibrinolysis in Vaccine-induced Immune Thrombocytopenia and Thrombosis (VITT)Journal of Thrombosis and HaemostasisContributions to Journals: Articles
Nebulized Recombinant Tissue Plasminogen Activator (rt-PA) for Acute COVID-19-Induced Respiratory Failure: An Exploratory Proof-of-Concept TrialJournal of Clinical Medicine, vol. 12, no. 18, 5848Contributions to Journals: Articles
Platelet factor XIII-A regulates platelet function and promotes clot retraction and stabilityResearch and Practice in Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 7, no. 5, 100200Contributions to Journals: Articles
I am currently accepting PhDs in Biomedical Sciences.
Please get in touch if you would like to discuss your research ideas further.
Dr Claire Whyte
BHF funded post-doc (Dec 2015-May 2019). Claire has been in the lab since January 2011 and is on her second BHF-funded project grant. Claire is currently working on the role of platelet-derived plasmiongen in driving local fibrinolysis.
CURRENT PhD STUDENTS
Mohammad Jalal: Start date 01/12/2012; Funded by the Saudi Arabian Government. 4 year PhD.
Paraskevi Untiveros: Start date 01/09/2014; Funded by the Chief Scientist Office. Clinical Fellow 3 year PhD.
Gael Morrow: Start date 12/01/2015; Funded by the British Society of Haemostasis and Thrombosis, British Society of Haematology and Lifeblood. 3 Year PhD.
Maria-Louise Williams: Start date 01/10/16; Funded by the Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen. 3 year PhD.
Mrs Ausra Lionikiene. Ausra was employed a research technician on my BHF-funded fellowship and studying the biological significance of factor XII. Ausra was an integral member of the team organising the lab, finances and all the personnel.
Funding and Grants
1. British Heart Foundation Project Grant PI: NJ Mutch (Dec 2015-Dec 2018) 'Platelet plasminogen as a driver of local fibrinolysis'
2. British Society of Haematology / Lifeblood / British Society of Thrombosis & Haemostasis PhD Studentship PI: NJ Mutch; Co-I CS Whyte (Jan 2015-Jan 2018) 'The impact of thrombus composition on regulation of fibrinolysis under flow'
4. Friends of Anchor PI: Dr Paraskevi Untiveros, Co-I Dr Nicola J Mutch, Dr Henry Watson (Aug 2016-Aug 2017) The role of ABO blood group in thrombosis
5. Chief Scientist Office, Scottish Government Fellow: P Untiveros; Supervisors: NJ Mutch, H Watson ''Influence of Anaemia on Clot Structure'
6. Friends of Anchor PI: NJ Mutch (Apr 2015-Nov 2016) 'A functional role of platelet FXIII-A in clot retraction'
1. British Heart Foundation Basic Science Fellowship Fellow: NJ Mutch (Mar 2011-Mar 2016 Includes two maternity leaves) 'Characterising the physiological role of factor XII and the contact system'
2. British Heart Foundation Project Grant PI: NJ Mutch; Co-I: RAS Ariëns (Jan 2012-Dec 2015) 'Changes in fibrin clot structure and susceptibility to lysis induced by polyphosphate'
3. Aberdeen Development Trust PhD Studentship PI: NJ Mutch (Oct 2012-Apr 2016) 'The antifibrinolytic function of factor XIII'
4. Chest, Heart and Stroke Scotland PI Isobel Ford Co-I NJ Mutch, MJ McLeod. () Responsiveness to thrombolytic therapy of for Ischaemic stroke
5. British Heart Foundation Project Grant (PG/07/122/23480). PI: NJ Mutch (Jun 2008-Oct 2012) 'Polyphosphate as a physiological surface for contact activation
- MT5524/MT5024 - Molecular Pharmacology
- BDS - Cardiovascular System
- BDS - Endocrinology
Course coordinator for BM5003 Cardiovascular Health and Disease
Page 3 of 8 Results 21 to 30 of 78
Monocytes Expose Factor XIII-A and Stabilize Thrombi against Fibrinolytic DegradationInternational Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 22, no. 12, 6591Contributions to Journals: Articles
Trauma-induced coagulopathyNature reviews. Disease primers, vol. 7, 30Contributions to Journals: Articles
A serpin with a finger in many PAI’s: PAI-1’s central function in thromboinflammation and cardiovascular diseaseFrontiers in cardiovascular medicine, vol. 8, 653655Contributions to Journals: Articles
Factor XIII-A: An Indispensable “Factor” in Haemostasis and Wound HealingInternational Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 22, no. 6, 3055Contributions to Journals: Articles
Fibrinogen Replacement Therapy for Traumatic Coagulopathy: Does the Fibrinogen Source Matter?International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 22, no. 4, 2185Contributions to Journals: Articles
Role of Shear Stress and tPA Concentration in the Fibrinolytic Potential of ThrombiInternational Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 22, no. 4, 2115Contributions to Journals: Articles
uPA-mediated plasminogen activation is enhanced by polyphosphateHaematologica, vol. 106, no. 2, pp. 522-531Contributions to Journals: Articles
Exposure of plasminogen and a novel plasminogen receptor, Plg-RKT, on activated human and murine plateletsBlood, vol. 137, no. 2, pp. 248–257Contributions to Journals: Articles
Physiology of haemostasis: Plasmin-antiplasmin systemTrauma Induced Coagulopathy. Moore, H., Neal, M., Moore, E. (eds.). Springer, pp. 53-74, 22 pagesChapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings: Chapters
Factor XII and kininogen asymmetric assembly with gC1qR/C1QBP/P32 is governed by allosteryBlood, vol. 136, no. 14, pp. 1685-1697Contributions to Journals: Articles