08/2018 - Reader, University of Aberdeen, UK
08/2014- 07/2018 Senior Lecturer, University of Aberdeen, UK
10/2008-07/2014 Lecturer, University of Aberdeen, UK
06/2002-09/2008 Postdoctoral fellow, University of St Andrews, UK
1999-2002 Ph.D. University of Wales Swansea, UK
The projects in my group mainly lie on the interface of chemistry and biology. I have expertise in bioinformatics/biochemistry/genetics/organic chemistry. As such I am interested in identifying novel enzymes in secondary metabolism and exploring novel enzymatic mechanisms (J. Biol. Chem. 2013; ChemBioChem 2014; Chem. Sci. 2015; Chem. Biol. 2015; Angew Chemie Int. Ed. 2015, Org. Biomol. Chem. 2016 and 2017), tracing biosynthesis pathways using bioinformatics and genetic manipulations (Org. Biomol. Chem. 2014; Chem. Biol. 2015; Angew Chemie Int. Ed. 2015), characterizing novel natural product scaffold (Tetrahedron, 2013 and Org. Biomol. Chem., 2015, 2016 and 2017). These interests inevitably take us towards designing novel substrates for enzymes (industrial biotechnology/ biotransformation/synthetic biology), inhibiting enzymes (medicinal chemistry), applying these biocatalysts to industrial biotechnology and synthetic biology. The expertise established in my laboratory is:
- Using chemical tools for enzymology studies;
- Synthetic biology enabling industrial biological application;
- Chemical synthesis of small molecules;
- Biotransformation of novel enzymes for lead compound discovery.
- Genome mining of biosynthetic genes from microbial genomes for natural product discovery;
- Genetic manipulation of microbial biosynthetic genes;
- Microbiology, especially cultivation and fermentation of marine-derived and terrestrial actinobacteria for analysis of secondary metabolite profiles.
- Molecular taxonomy of new actinobacteria.
1. Characterization of new fluorometabolites and related fluorometabolisms in Streptomyces sp. MA37 (with Professor David O'Hagan and Dr Yi Yu, China).
2. New biosynthetic pathways of various bioactive natural products for potential lead compound discovery, such as the potential antibacterial natural product holomycin (Process Biochem., 2011), the potent antitumour agent actinomycin G (Mol Biosystems, 2013 ), and other antibacterial natural products (with Professor Zixin Deng, Dr Yi Yu (China)). We gratefully thank Royal Society, Tenovus Scotland for financial support.
3. New antibacterial natural product discovery of new bacterial strains from various natural sources (Mrs Xiaoling Wang, Tetrahedron, 2013) (with Professor Marcel Jaspars). Royal Society and Leverhulm Trust are gratefully appreciated.
4. The investigation of bacterial natural products required for virulence (with Professor Christopher Secombes and Professor Marcel Jaspars, J. Biol. Chem. 2013, Marine Drugs, 2013 ). EASTBIO BBSRC is gratefully appreciated.
5. A new organofluorine-specific method for fluorometabolite discovery (Analytical Chemistry, 2012 and J. At. Anal. Spect, 2013) (with Professor Joerg Feldmann).
Cormac Murphy (Ireland)
Yi Yu (Wuhan, China)
Yunjun Zhou (Shanghai, China)
Kwaku Kyeremeh (Legon, Ghana)
We gratefully thank the funding bodies below for financial supports of our research
MRC, BBSRC, Leverhulm Trust, EU FP7, Tenuvas.
CM4518 Biological origin of natural products
CM1020 Chemistry for Biosciences 1
CM1512 Chemistry for Biosciences 2
CM3534 Organic and Biological Chemistry
- Further Info
External reviewer for a series of peer-reviewed journals within my area of interest, including Chem. Sci., Chem Comm., ACS Chem. Biol., ChemBioChem, Marine Biotechnology, Org & Biomol. Chem, FEMS Microbiology Ecology, Chemistry today, Marine Drugs, Fish and Shellfish Immunology, and Virulence.
A reviewer of research councils, BBSRC (UK) and FCT (Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia in the field of Chemistry and Biochemistry, 2010-2011), Fonds de recherche du Québec - Nature et technologies, Québec, Canada (2015-2016) and charities, Leverhulme Trust (UK).
Exam paper coordinator
Recent invited lectures
Natural product symposium. Aberdeen. Dec. 03. 2008. "In vitro biosynthesis of 4-fluorothreonine"
Scottish Perkin Meeting. Aberdeen. Dec. 17. 2008. "Duf62 protein is a SAM hydroxide adenosyltransferase: A new SAM enzyme"
Zing Natural product conference, Antigua and Barbuda. March 1-4, 2009. "New halogenated natural products from the Atacama Desert, Chile"
Page 1 of 7 Results 1 to 10 of 61
- Maglangit, F, Fang, Q, Leman, V, Soldatou, S, Ebel, R, Kyeremeh, K & Deng, H 2019, 'Accramycin A, a New Aromatic Polyketide, from the Soil Bacterium, Streptomyces sp. MA37', Molecules, vol. 24, no. 18, 3384. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules24183384
- Zhou, H, Yang, H, Tang, L, Wang, Y, Li, Y, Liu, N, Zeng, X, Yan, Y, Wu, J, Chen, S, Xiao, L, Yu, Y, Deng, Z, Deng, H, Hong, X & Xiao, Y 2019, 'Mn-Loaded apolactoferrin dots for in vivo MRI and NIR-II cancer imaging', Journal of Materials Chemistry A, vol. 7, no. 31, pp. 9448-9454. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/c9tc01929d
- Kyeremeh, K, Kwain, S, Tetevi, GM, Camas, AS, Camas, M, Dofuor, AK, Deng, H & Jaspars, M 2019, 'α-D-glucopyranosyl-(1→2)-[6-O-(L-tryptophanyl)-β-D-fructofuranoside]', MolBank, vol. 2019, M1066. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/M1066
- Zhou, Y, Lin, X, Xu, C, Shen, Y, Wang, S-P, Liao, H, Li, L, Deng, H & Lin, H-W 2019, 'Investigation of Penicillin Binding Protein (PBP)-like Peptide Cyclase and Hydrolase in Surugamide Non-ribosomal Peptide Biosynthesis', Cell chemical biology, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 737-744. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chembiol.2019.02.010
- Chen, X, Yao, L, Wang, YC, Chen, Q, Deng, H, Lin, ZY & Yang, HH 2019, 'Novel electrochemical nanoswitch biosensor based on self-assembled pH-sensitive continuous circular DNA', Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 131, pp. 274-279. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bios.2019.02.004
- Zeng, X, Chen, Z, Tang, L, Yang, H, Liu, N, Zhou, H, Li, Y, Wu, J, Deng, Z, Yu, Y, Deng, H, Hong, X & Xiao, Y 2019, 'A novel near-infrared fluorescent light-up probe for tumor imaging and drug-induced liver injury detection', Chemical Communications, vol. 55, no. 17, pp. 2541-2544. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/c8cc10286d
- Yun, X, Zhang, Q, Lv, M, Deng, H, Deng, Z & Yu, Y 2019, 'In vitro reconstitution of the biosynthetic pathway of 3-hydroxypicolinic acid', Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 454-460. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/c8ob02972e
- Maglangit, F, Tong, MH, Jaspars, M, Kyeremeh, K & Deng, H 2019, 'Legonoxamines A-B, two new hydroxamate siderophores from the soil bacterium, Streptomyces sp. MA37', Tetrahedron Letters, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 75-79. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tetlet.2018.11.063
- Tabudravu, JN, Pellissier, L, Smith, AJ, Subko, K, Autréau, C, Feussner, K, Hardy, D, Butler, D, Kidd, R, Milton, EJ, Deng, H, Ebel, R, Salonna, M, Gissi, C, Montesanto, F, Kelly, SM, Milne, BF, Cimpan, G & Jaspars, M 2019, 'LC-HRMS-Database Screening Metrics for Rapid Prioritization of Samples to Accelerate the Discovery of Structurally New Natural Products', Journal of Natural Products, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 211-220. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jnatprod.8b00575
- Wang, B, Li, X, Yu, D, Chen, X, Tabudravu, J, Deng, H & Pan, L 2018, 'Deletion of the epigenetic regulator GcnE in Aspergillus niger FGSC A1279 activates the production of multiple polyketide metabolites', Microbiological Research, vol. 217, pp. 101-107. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.micres.2018.10.004