Beatriz Goulao joined the Unit in September 2014 as a statistician. Her current work involves data analysis of randomised controlled trials and evidence synthesis. In 2019, Beatriz was awarded a Fellowship Development Fund by the Wellcome Trust to work on patient and public involvement in numerical aspects of trials. She has been enrolled as a part-time PhD student in Applied Health Sciences in the University of Aberdeen since 2015 working on "Complex designs in randomised clinical trials – a case study in dentistry". Beatriz was awarded the Santader Mobility Award in 2017 to work on the efficient collection of dental outcomes in trials at the University of Munster. She has an interest in methods to improve clinical trials efficiency and translation of research into clinical practice, in particular complex designs and cluster factorial randomised trials. She is passionate about science communication: Beatriz is an Ask For Evidence ambassador and is part of the Public Engagement Group in HSRU having led or been involved in activities with the aim of disseminating research to a wider audience. In July 2018 Beatriz was awarded the Principal’s Prize for Public Engagement with Research in the Early Career Researcher category.
Previously, she finished her MSc in Biostatistics in 2013 and she has an MSc in Metabolic Diseases with a focus on nutrition epidemiology (2013) and worked as a researcher in the Epidemiology Unit of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Lisbon and as a registered dietitian in the Portuguese National Health System.
Beatriz is interested in methodology research in clinical trials, including the design, analysis and implementation of complex designs and improving efficiency of dental trials. Beatriz is currently enrolled as a PhD studend in Applied Health Sciences at the University of Aberdeen and her thesis is entitled "Complex designs in randomised clinical trials – a case study in dentistry" (learn more here). It is focused on cluster factorial randomised trials and in particular split-plot designs and improving their design and reporting, as well as different methodological challenges in dental trials. Beatriz also has an interest in methods regarding implementation of research findings into clinical practice and dissemination of research and developing methodology to elicit patient's and public's opinions on numerical aspects of trials.
Beatriz is the Principal Investigator of a Wellcome Trust Fellowship Development Fund on patient and public involvement in numerical aspects of trials and the Co-Principal Investigator of the TiPTAP project (Training in Practice Targeting Antibiotic Prescribing (TiPTAP): A Randomised Controlled Trial) funded by NHS Education.
Beatriz is the statistician for the TRiaDS initiative - Transaltion Research in a Dental Setting and has been working in several audit & feedback projects as part of her role. She is the trial statistician in a number of randomised controlled trials, including several dental trials: IQuaD, INTERVAL, REFLECT, SCRIPT. Beatriz is the statistician working the diagnostic accuracy longitudinal study EDNA.
Beatriz is a member of the Informed Health Choices International Network.
Beatriz was awarded the Santader Mobility Award in 2017 to work on the efficient collection of dental outcomes in trials at the University of Munster.
Beatriz is a collaborator of the Unit of Epidemiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Lisbon (learn more here) in the project PEN-3S - Nutritional status of Portuguese elders: national prevalence study and development of an electronic surveillance system.
Co-holders: Heather Cassie, Eilidh Duncan, Beatriz Goulao, Linda Young, Alistair Ross. PIs: Laura Beaton and Jan Clarkson. Can co-design enhance national quality improvement interventions?. 2020. Funding body: Chief Scientist Office Catalytic Research Grants.
PI: Beatriz Goulao. Patient and public Involvement in Numerical aspects of Trials (PoINT). 2019-2020. Funding body: Wellcome Trust – Institutional Strategic Support Fund at the University of Aberdeen.
PI: Beatriz Goulao. Reporting results of diagnostic accuracy studies to patients and the public. 2019. Funding body: Medical Research Scotland.
Public engagement funding
Awarded a place at the Engage Researchers’ Academy with a bursary to cover the full cost of fees. 2018. Funding body: UK Research and Innovation.
Awarded funding from ISSF to attend the Engage Researchers’ Academy. 2018. Funding body: Wellcome Trust – Institutional Strategic Support Fund at the University of Aberdeen.
Co-holders: Beatriz Goulao, Clare Robertson. Public engagement award to develop a Treasure Hunt activity and disseminate the evidence synthesis process. 2017. Funder: Public Engagement with Research Unit, University of Aberdeen.
Beatriz is a tutor for undergraduate medical students in the University of Aberdeen in their research module. She has supervised several MSc projects in the unit.
PhD students: Patrick Fee, University of Dundee
- Further Info
Assistant editor for the Clinical Trials journal
Core member of the MRC-NIHR Trials Methodology Research Partnership Statistical Analysis Working Group
MSc in Biostatistcs, Faculty of Science, University of Lisbon
MSc in Metabolic Disease and Food Behavior, Faculty of Medicine, University of Lisbon
BSc(Hons) in Dietetics and Nutrition, Lisbon School of Health Technologies
Page 1 of 3 Results 1 to 10 of 28
- Clarkson, JE, Ramsay, C, Aceves Martins, M, Brazzelli, M, Calvert, G, Colloc, T, Dave, M, Glenny, A-M, Goulao, B, Lamont, TJ, Richards, D, Riley, P, Robertson, C, Walsh, T, Wilson, GJ & Worthington, HV 2020, Aerosol Generating Procedures and their Mitigation in International Dental Guidance Documents - A Rapid Review. Cochrane Oral Health. <> [Online] DOI: https://oralhealth.cochrane.org/sites/oralhealth.cochrane.org/files/public/uploads/rapid_review_of_agps_in_international_dental_guidance_documents.pdf
- Burton, M, Clarkson, JE, Goulao, B, Glenny, A-M, McBain, AJ, Schilder, AGM, Webster, KE & Worthington, HV 2020, 'Antimicrobial mouthwashes (gargling) and nasal sprays administered to patients with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 infection to improve patient outcomes and to protect healthcare workers treating them (Protocol)', Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol. 2020, no. 5, CD013627. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD013627
- Burton, MJ, Clarkson, JE, Goulao, B, Glenny, A-M, McBain, AJ, Schilder, AGM, Webster, KE & Worthington, HV 2020, 'Antimicrobial mouthwashes (gargling) and nasal sprays to protect healthcare workers when undertaking aerosol-generating procedures (AGPs) on patients without suspected or confirmed COVID-19 infection (Protocol)', Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol. 2020, no. 5, CD013628. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD013628
- The COVID-19 Dental Services Evidence Review Working Group 2020, Recommendations for the re-opening of dental services: a rapid review of international sources. Cochrane Oral Health. <> [Online] DOI: https://oralhealth.cochrane.org/news/recommendations-re-opening-dental-services-rapid-review-international-sources
- Althouse, A, Goulao, B & Bradburn, M 2020, Statistical review of Chloroquine diphosphate in two different dosages as adjunctive therapy of hospitalized patients with severe respiratory syndrome in the context of coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) infection: Preliminary safety results of a randomized, double-blinded, phase IIb clinical trial (CloroCovid-19 Study). Zenodo. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3757821
- Goulao, B, Hood, K & Dahly, D 2020, Statistical review of Hydroxychloroquine in patients with COVID-19: an open-label, randomized, controlled trial. Zenodo. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3767943
- Hood, K, Goulao, B, Dahly, D & Yap, C 2020, Statistical review of Remdesivir in adults with severe COVID-19: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicentre trial. Zenodo. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3819778
- Goulao, B, Carnell, S, Shen, J, MacLennan, G, Norrie, J, Cook, J, McColl, E, Breckons, M, Vale, L, Whybrow, P, Rapley, T, Forbes, R, Currer, S, Forrest, M, Wilkinson, J, Andrich, D, Barclay, S, Mundy, A, N'Dow, J, Payne, S, Watkin, N & Pickard, R 2020, 'Surgical Treatment for Recurrent Bulbar Urethral Stricture: A Randomised Open-label Superiority Trial of Open Urethroplasty Versus Endoscopic Urethrotomy (the OPEN Trial)', European Urology, vol. 78, no. 4, pp. 572-580. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2020.06.003
- Hemming, C, Constable, L, Goulao, B, Kilonzo, M, Boyers, D, Elders, A, Cooper, K, Smith, A, Freeman, RM, Breeman, S, McDonald, A, Hagen, S, Montgomery, I, Norrie, J & Glazener, C 2020, 'Surgical interventions for uterine prolapse and for vault prolapse: the two VUE RCTs', Health Technology Assessment, vol. 24, no. 13, pp. 1-220. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3310/hta24130
- Goulao, B, Duncan, A, Floate, R, Clarkson, J & Ramsay, C 2020, 'Three behavior change theory–informed randomized studies within a trial to improve response rates to trial postal questionnaires', Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 122, pp. 35-41. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2020.01.018