Chair in Sedimentology and Stratigraphy
- All aspects of clastic sedimentology and sequence stratigraphy. A particular interest is the application of geomorphology to the rock record in continental environments.
- Evolution of the Central Andes: using stratigraphic, sedimentological and structural data to reconstruct the timing and cause of climate change and uplift in the Central Andes.
- Stratigraphic development of clastic sedimentary successions in Large Igneous Provinces.
- Application of all aspects of clastic sedimentology in the exploration for, and the exploitation of, hydrocarbon reservoirs.
Triassic JIP Phase 2 & 3. A joint indstry project funded by BP, JX Nippon, Total, CNOOC & Neptune Energy looking at the provenance, sedimentology and biostratigraphy of the Triaasic succession in the Central North Sea. The aim is to better predict reservoir distribution and quality in these improtant reservoir units.
Fluvial System Research Group. A Joint Industry Project currently funded by BG, Chevron, ConocoPhillips and Total. The project links with Albuquerque and Royal Holloway and aims to develop a predictive model of distributive fluvial systems (DFS) and associated environments based on remote sensing imagery and outcrop studies. Research is focussed on outcrop based studies in various parts of the world and involves building 3D models of different aspects of distributive fluvial systems, "ground-truthed" using datasets derived from remotely sensed imagery and modern day systems.
Gary Weissmann & Louis Scuderi, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque.
Amanda Owen, University of Glasgow
Anne Mather, University of Plymouth
Laura Evenstar, University of Brighton
Level 3 GL3525 Torridon/Gairloch Fieldtrip Course Coordinator
Level 4 GL4023 Mapping Project
Level 5 Integrated Petroleum Geoscience MSc sedimentology, Utah Fieldtrip, Pyrenees fieldtrip.
- Further Info
Director of Integrated Petroleum Geoscience MSc
Page 4 of 13 Results 31 to 40 of 127
- McArthur, AD, Hartley, AJ, Archer, SG, Jolley, DW & Lawrence, HM 2016, 'Spatiotemporal relationships of deep-marine, axial, and transverse depositional systems fromthe synrift Upper Jurassic of the central North Sea', AAPG Bulletin, vol. 100, no. 9, pp. 1469-1500. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1306/04041615125
- Leleu, S, Hartley, AJ, van Oosterhout, C, Kennan, L, Ruckwied, K & Gerdes, K 2016, 'Structural, stratigraphic and sedimentological characterisation of a wide rift system: The Triassic rift system of the Central Atlantic Domain', Earth Science Reviews, vol. 158, pp. 89-124. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.earscirev.2016.03.008
- Pinter, PR, Butler, RWH, Hartley, AJ, Maniscalco, R, Baldassini, N & Di Stefano, A 2016, 'The Numidian of Sicily revisited: a thrust-influenced confined turbidite system', Marine and Petroleum Geology, vol. 78, pp. 291-311. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpetgeo.2016.09.014
- Owen, A, Hartley, AJ, Weissmann, GS & Nichols, GJ 2016, 'Uranium distribution as a proxy for basin-scale fluid flow in distributive fluvial systems', Journal of the Geological Society , vol. 173, no. 4, pp. 569-572. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/jgs2016-007
- Kilhams, B, Hartley, A, Huuse, M & Davis, C 2015, 'Characterizing the Paleocene turbidites of the North Sea: Maureen Formation, UK Central Graben', Geological Society Special Publication, vol. 403, no. 1, pp. 43-62. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/SP403.1
- Ebinghaus, A, Jolley, DW & Hartley, AJ 2015, 'Extrinsic forcing of plant ecosystems in a large igneous province: The Columbia River flood basalt province, Washington State, USA', Geology, vol. 43, no. 12, pp. 1107-1110. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1130/G37276.1
- Weissmann, GS, Hartley, AJ, Scuderi, LA, Nichols, GJ, Owen, A, Wright, S, Felicia, AL, Holland, F & Anaya, FML 2015, 'Fluvial geomorphic elements in modern sedimentary basins and their potential preservation in the rock record: A review', Geomorphology, vol. 250, pp. 187-219. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geomorph.2015.09.005
- Owen, A, Nichols, GJ, Hartley, AJ, Weissmann, GS & Scuderi, LA 2015, 'Quantification of a distributive fluvial system; the Salt Wash DFS of the Morrison Formation, SW USA', Journal of Sedimentary Research, vol. 85, no. 5, pp. 544-561. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.2110/jsr.2015.35
- Hartley, AJ, Owen, A, Swan, A, Weissmann, GS, Holzweber, BI, Howell, J, Nichols, G & Scuderi, L 2015, 'Recognition and importance of amalgamated sandy meander belts in the continental rock record', Geology, vol. 43, no. 8, pp. 679-682. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1130/G36743.1
- Hartley, AJ & Leleu, S 2015, 'Sedimentological constraints on the late Silurian history of the Highland Boundary Fault, Scotland: Implications for Midland Valley Basin development', Journal of the Geological Society , vol. 172, no. 2, pp. 213-217. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/jgs2014-010