A University of Aberdeen law student studying the post graduate Diploma in Professional Legal Practice has been crowned the winner of a class project in which students manage a portfolio of investments on the stock market.
Organised as part of the Business Environment and Ethics course, the Investment Game saw students given an imaginary £100,000 to invest in the stock market with the aim of seeing who could make the most profit.
After nine weeks of trading, Sophie Hamilton was named as the winner recording an impressive profit of £20,602.10. Fellow student Ataikor Ngerebara came a close second with £20,201.90.
The students were asked to invest their money into 10 companies registered on the FTSE 100 share index and then spent nine weeks monitoring their share values.
Throughout the game participants were allowed to buy and sell their shares as they saw fit but had to record the value of their share portfolio each week.
The competition was sponsored by St James’ Place Wealth Management and company Partner Alastair Lindsay visited the University to award Sophie with a bottle of champagne for her efforts. Ataikor was also given a bottle of wine.
Sophie said: “It’s really exciting and unexpected to win. I do wish I’d had a spare few thousand pounds of my own money that I could have invested in these companies!”
Dr Susan Stokeld, who is the Director of the Diploma, organised the competition. She added: “The Investment Game is very popular with all the students and has been a really useful assignment for all those taking part.
“Sophie did extremely well in the competition and has proven to have a real talent for investment. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank St James’ Place Wealth Management for sponsoring the competition.”
Browse by Month
- Feb There are no items to show for February 2018
- Mar There are no items to show for March 2018
- Apr There are no items to show for April 2018
- May There are no items to show for May 2018
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2018
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2018
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2018
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2018
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2018
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2018
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2018