Robert Gordon University has won the 2012 Aberdeen Asset Management Boat Race for only the third time in seventeen years, after taking an early lead.
They won in a time of 8 minutes 13.9 seconds, beating rivals the University of Aberdeen team by four and a half lengths. Aberdeen’s time was 8 minutes 28.1 seconds.
The 2012 race had one of the most competitive build ups in its 17th year history, with students from Aberdeen and Robert Gordon Universities actively involved in supporting their crews on Facebook and Twitter.
The Alumni boat race was also won by Robert Gordon University by five lengths in a time of 9 minutes 0.3 seconds.
The Universities' second crew boat race which was won by the University of Aberdeen by four and a half lengths in a time of 2 minutes 34 seconds. The media challenge cup was won by NorthSound Radio in a time of one minute and 16 seconds. They raced 300m in coxed 'tub' pairs for the media challenge cup.
Hugh Little, head of acquisitions for Aberdeen Asset Management, who was among the hundreds of race spectators, said: "The build-up to this year's race has been amongst the most competitive we've seen in the history of the race.
“Supporters have been able to follow the crews' preparations online. Our congratulations go to both teams for their sportsmanship and showing what great sporting talent exists in both Universities. Aberdeen Asset Management is proud to support an event which brings the two Universities together in such a spirited sporting event."
Browse by Month
- Apr There are no items to show for April 2018
- May There are no items to show for May 2018
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2018
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2018
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2018
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2018
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2018
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2018
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2018