An Aberdeen runner who already boasts a string of sporting accolades has been named Scottish Masters Athlete of 2009.
Dr Laura Mahady received the award at the Scottish Athletics Awards Dinner which took place at the weekend in Glasgow and featured Lord Sebastian Coe as guest of honour.
The Masters Category is open to athletes who are over 35 years old.
The 51-year-old University of Aberdeen sports psychologist said: “I am absolutely delighted to receive this award. Your running is supposed to slow down when you get older but I seem to be getting faster.
“I’ve had an unbelievable year. At the World Masters Championships in Lahti in Finland I took gold in the 800m with a time of 2.19mins. This set a new British and European age group record.
“I also took silver in the 400m with a time of 61secs and bronze in the 1500m with a time of 4.40mins.
“My gold medal tally continued when I was also selected to run in the relays where we took gold in both the 4 x 100m and 4 x 400m and we set a new world record in 400m.”
The mum-of-three added: “This year I have been coached by Joyce and Ken Hogg who are attached to the Aberdeen Athletics Club at the Aberdeen Sports Village.
“The Sports Village was where I ran one of my most memorable races - the mile race at the open day of the brand new complex this August. I achieved first place in a time of 5.26 mins which is a new British masters’ record.
“I was delighted to do so well at the Sports Village because I firmly believe it has created a renewed enthusiasm amongst sports men and women and coaches and will help Aberdeen enjoy greater successes at all levels in the near future.”
Browse by Month
- Apr There are no items to show for April 2018
- May There are no items to show for May 2018
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2018
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2018
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2018
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2018
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2018
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2018
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2018