The University of Aberdeen’s governing body, the University Court, has appointed Sir Moir Lockhead, Deputy Chairman and Chief Executive of FirstGroup plc, to the position of Senior Governor.
The Senior Governor is responsible for the leadership and effective operation of the Court. As such he or she plays a central role in setting the strategic direction of the University and works closely with the Principal of the University.
Sir Moir is looking forward to leading the governors of the University and said: "It is a great privilege and honour to have been appointed to this role by the Court.
"I have enjoyed my time serving as a Court member and look forward to the exciting times ahead. The University has made some remarkable progress over the past few years towards becoming one of the top one hundred universities in the world. It's an exciting time and I am looking forward to leading the Court's efforts to help realise the University's ambition."
Sir Moir will take over from Dr Alistair Mair who will continue to be a member of Court as Chancellor's Assessor.
Professor Sir Duncan Rice, Principal and Vice-Chancellor at the University is pleased at the appointment and said: "It is wonderful news that Sir Moir is to take on the role of Senior Governor. He has had an extremely distinguished international career and is hugely experienced. The University is delighted that we will be able to draw upon his experience and wisdom as we strive to build further upon the many successes we have enjoyed in recent years."
Sir Moir was awarded an Honorary Chair from the University in June 2004 and has served as a Court member since August 2002. He is Chief Executive of Aberdeen based FirstGroup plc, the leading transport operator in the UK and North America.
Sir Moir has been appointed to serve as Senior Governor and Vice-Chair of the University Court for a period of three years, commencing 1 August, 2009. The post is unremunerated.
Browse by Month
- Feb There are no items to show for February 2018
- Mar There are no items to show for March 2018
- Apr There are no items to show for April 2018
- May There are no items to show for May 2018
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2018
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2018
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2018
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2018
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2018
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2018
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2018