A University of Aberdeen student is on a high after winning a silver medal in the double mini trampoline (DMT) at the FIG Trampoline Gymnastics World Championships in Bulgaria.
Kim Beattie, who is a second year engineering student and sports bursar, was competing as part of the four-strong DMT GB team at the event in Sofia.
Along with her teammates she helped earn a combined points total of 102.200, only narrowly missing out on the gold medal, which went to Russia. In the individual competition, she placed 14th out of 29 in her first senior world championships.
Kim’s performance in Sofia marks a career high for the 19-year-old, whose has gone from strength to strength this year.
Her performance in the Scottish Student Trampoline Open (SSTO) in February, where she competed as part of Aberdeen University Trampoline Club, saw her come first in the ladies pro-elite category and record the highest trampoline score of the competition.
Commenting on her latest competitive experience, Kim said: “In my qualification round I got a personal best score, which was nice as my aim was to achieve two clean passes and just generally enjoy my first World Championships.
“In the team final, I achieved the highest scoring pass of my career to help the team secure silver. It was a dramatic and emotional team final and to take away a medal was an incredible experience.”
Acknowledging the help she has received from the University as a sports bursar, Kim added: “The University has been amazing in supporting me towards the World Championships. The advice we get from experts who come to speak to us about lifestyle, nutrition, and other performance elements has been really beneficial to my training.”
Browse by Month
- Apr There are no items to show for April 2018
- May There are no items to show for May 2018
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2018
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2018
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2018
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2018
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2018
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2018
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2018