Researchers from the University of Aberdeen Rowett Institute are seeking volunteers to help them assess whether taking a prebiotic can improve the health of people with Type 2 diabetes.
Prebiotics are non-digestible food ingredients that pass undigested through the upper part of the gastrointestinal tract and stimulate the growth and/or activity of advantageous bacteria already in the large bowel or colon.
Previous studies have shown that the use of a prebiotic can improve metabolic health in non-diabetic volunteers as it can alter the bacteria found in the human gut. The team now want to explore this further to see if the same results are present in diabetic volunteers.
Those taking part in the study will have to be between 18 and 65 years and be individuals who manage Type 2 Diabetes through diet.
Volunteers will attend the Rowett Institute’s state of the art Human Nutrition Unit before the study begins where they will receive a medical screening. If eligible, those taking part willl then have to visit the institute six times over the 12 week study period, and will have to take 20ml of a liquid prebiotic, which will be provided, every day for the study period.
Dr Alexandra Johnstone, who is leading the study, said: “This research is so important as it could help us find out the mechanism of action of a prebiotic on Type 2 diabetes by altering the gut microbiota profile and this will also provide preliminary data to support a larger multi-centre trial in future.
“However, in order to carry out our work, we really rely on recruiting volunteers who can help us. We really appreciate the commitment our volunteers make and it really is invaluable to the work of our team of scientists.
For more information on the study, or to volunteer to take part, please visit (http://www.abdn.ac.uk/rowett/volunteer/diabetes-and-health-study-964.php) or alternatively contact Dr Veronica Sneddon on 01224 438752 or email email@example.com
The study is funded by the Scottish Government as part of the ‘Healthy, Safe Diets’ research theme
Browse by Month
- Feb There are no items to show for February 2018
- Mar There are no items to show for March 2018
- Apr There are no items to show for April 2018
- May There are no items to show for May 2018
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2018
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2018
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2018
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2018
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2018
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2018
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2018